Chapter 5

When I got home from school and finished my homework, I stood in my closet for half an hour, just staring at the clothes trying to design the possible outfits in my mind. Did I want to dress casual or semi-casual? Ashton seemed like a casual guy and I didn't want to look too dressy. Since it was in the high eighties, I ended up picking out a tank-top with three large white, lime green and blue stripes and white shorts. I carelessly pulled my hair up in a high ponytail to keep from getting too hot and slipped into my Sperry's.

I still had an hour until Ashton would be coming over so I went downstairs to sit in the living room and watch TV. I flipped through the channels, eventually just stopping on some show about dancers.

I walked to the fridge to get a yogurt. Cas and Mary-Lynn were at work but they always had food in the fridge. Since they were never home, they had a maid come in and tidy everything up while they were gone. I wasn't fond with the idea of having someone go through my clothes, so I made sure to make my bed and do my own laundry so whoever they were didn't have to worry about me. 

The hour went by rather quickly and he hadn't shown up yet. I glanced at the grandfather clock as it read 5:05 PM. I sighed and proceeded with the dance show's marathon. Only a minute went by when the doorbell rang. I didn't know whether I was excited or nervous but whichever one it was, I didn't want to show it so I took my time to answer the door, making sure I didn't look anxious. When I opened it, he stood there leaning against the door frame, wavy hair tossed around, black sunglasses and a smirk on his face (as per usual). What else was new? He was wearing a casual, short sleeve, blue button up shirt this time but with the same jeans and Vans as he wore earlier. 

"You look nice," he smiled, reaching for my hand and giving my knuckles a soft kiss. I felt my face blush and looked down at my feet.

I wasn't sure how to react to that, so I took the polite route and quietly said, "Thank you." He didn't let go of my hand after his gesture. I felt to urge to pull away, but it felt comforting; relaxing even so I didn't. I looked back up at him and returned a smile to his cheeky grin. He then guided me to his car; a 1990 Candy Red Chevy Corvette which he had parked in front of the house, on the road.

"I didn't want to block your parent people in the driveway, so I parked here just to be safe," he explained when we reached the car. He opened the door for me and smiled. I promptly sat in the seat and watched him walk around the hood of the car. His toned, drummer arms looked nice in the button-up shirt because the sleeves were tight around them so they looked especially toned. I caught myself smiling over this and looked down at my lap.

"What could you possibly be blushing about now?" he asked with a smile in his voice, when he got in the driver's side.

"That's like asking you why you're always smirking; there's no reason," I replied because it was true. I had no reason to be blushing over arms and god only knew what went on in his head that made him smirk.

"I always have a reason," he smiled, looking at the road as he drove. I looked at him as he drove. His hair was getting tossed around even more from wind as we drove out of the neighborhood.

"And what would that be?" I asked kind of hesitant, unsure whether I wanted to know the answer.

"You're stubborn....it's cute. I like it," he said, stopping at a red light.

"I'm not stubborn!" I objectified. He turned his head to look at me with a cocked eyebrow.

"You didn't even want to go out with me. I'm sure you had someone bribe you into doing this," that hurt smile appeared on his face. Oh no. No, no. I hated being the cause of that look. 

I looked down at my hands and fumbled with them. "No one bribed me. They just...talked some sense into me I guess," I mumbled.

"What do you mean?" I didn't want to get into the whole 'I've been a loner for all my life' talk but I figured, this was what the whole date was supposed to be about; getting to know each other.