Part 15

Sparrows 15

Is my dream of a little cot, Tom and I all ordered and snug, so foolish? If the sanctuary offered me has a price, what of it? All life has it's fee, I can pay and no debt will be mine. Was that not the lot of women, should I hold myself above it?

###

"And now the fool is...?" de Warren was not in a congenial frame of mind. Marceline de Renouf was a beautiful woman, but demanding. Jewels, gowns and furs, all these he would give without hesitation, seeing to her comfort, in so many ways, was his petit plaisir. And she, in her turn, rewarded him with public adoration, deferring to his will with pretty smiles and tremulous sighs. The muttering and fluttering of priests and haughty court mesdams were nothing to him. True, her rank was dependant on her husband, a lowly, disgraced knight, so the ungracious harpies need not receive her. But he would put an end to that ere long, when de Renouf was dead. The lady Marceline would become Countess Casals; none would gainsay it, nay, not even the king. The de Warren fortune was too great, the men at his command too loyal for the unsteady monarch to hazard losing. No, she was his, her beauty, her poise, her bold governance of their bed sport; entirely his to revel in. All for the price of silks and gems, and of course a life or two, but they were of less value than the baubles. The world would not miss de Renouf, nor his milksop son.

"The plan went awry, he eluded us. He is not as dull witted as we were led to believe." la Pierre squared his shoulders. His master was not a man to take lightly to such an inconvenience.
"And that is your excuse? He is then a ghost, perhaps a mighty giant?" at la Pierre's silence de Warren turned and sneered, "I will have him dead, are we clear, dead."
"And the boy?" any murderous intent toward a child caused la Pierre no disquiet. Had his own father found it in him to slay a few of the better placed heirs, Andreas would be Comte du L'Ancresse, not the landless knight he now was. It was an oversight that was difficult to forgive.

"That can wait, when the time comes let the blame fall to her worthless wretch of a husband." De Warren paused; the lady in question was gliding across the courtyard toward them. He continued in a more hushed, distracted tone. Marceline moved with such seductive grace, it set de Warren's a' twitch. "I heard you were diverted by a woman, a woman de Renouf later took for his own?"
The approach of his master's whore was a relief, the problematic conversation would cease. Andreas regained his languid bearing, for the present humiliation was avoided. His chance to right the failure with the cuckold would come soon, then there was the question of the woman? Another round with her would be welcomed, later he would decide to keep, or discard her.

###

Laundry work was hard, and Jennet welcomed Haddie's help, the honest labour ordered her thoughts, made her notions of revenge seem ill considered, even foolish.

She had bade farewell to the players, the motherly Edith tried her cajoling best to convince Haddie to stay with them, Jacques stalked about, almost insulted at the rejection, and all to be at the beck and call of such a mannerless knight! But promises of a preserved friendship were made.

Returning to the company, Haddie found Friar William and Jocelyn rearranging the baggage on the waggon; Tom sat on a box eating a hunk of bread. He looked at her sorrowfully, clambered off to stand at her side.
"Why did you go with him Haddie?" the boy whispered, solemn faced.
"'Tis my business Tom."
"But he'll hit you..." The child ducked his head, scuffed his bare feet in the dusty earth,"...like pa did."
"Then this time, I'll hit back." She laughed, and helped Jocelyn heft a bulky coffer up into place.
Friar William heard her words, looked at her with reproof, but said nothing.

###

The bishop's business concluded, and eager to be about his own concerns, Sir Robert stepped briskly from the Hall. Piers held his masters horse, while Rob settled himself in the saddle, flinching a little and adjusting his seat. A knowing grin lit the usually hard line of his mouth as he urged the sturdy beast forward.
Haddie lifted Tom up beside her on the waggon and the small party made their way back to the road.

###

They travelled without incident, the pace less urgent. Haddie tested Tom on his numbers, making a game of it. How many horse tails could he see, how many ears could he number in their company? The lad giggled, and she was thankful for his laughter.

At a goodly spot beside the road, where the ditch water was clear, they settled to camp. The evening gloom had turned dark, too dark to travel more. Horses were rubbed down, watered, and fed, all was unhurried. Soon a cooking fire was set; a supper of pottage, bread, and cheese made ready. There was little talk; the men exchanged muffled words, but no more. Brother William blessed the meal, and they ate.
After, Tom set out their makeshift bed beneath the waggon; Haddie watched, stretched her neck, and sighed. It was a foolish thought, but it seemed to her that she had never been this contented. There was food in their bellies, and she trusted all about her, even the lording did not rile her as he once did. If she made herself useful about his manor, they would have a home, even when his interest in her waned. Hard work and diligence would make them safe; all would be well.
The dim, sneering form of le Pierre rose in her mind, setting bile in her throat; she would not let it sour her new found calm. In her heart she knew that any measure of reckoning for him may not be hers to mete out. God would punish his evil heart far better than she.

###

Rob advanced on Haddie, tossing a folded blanket over his shoulder, his intention clear. Bending close to her ear, he growled soft. "Come," and took her arm.
But she shook herself free."Nay."
"How so? I would have you lie with me again." Looking about him, he lowered his voice further. "It was good; was it not?"
Surprising herself she said. "My courses are begun."
Like all men, his ignorance and fear of such things made him wary. "Ah...well then...another time...when you are well..." Hastily he turned and walked away.
Haddie bedded down next to Tom, curling up close to his skinny little body.
Much as she would have enjoyed the slide of the man's hard limbs on hers, calloused hands scraping easily over her belly, the lordling needed to know she was not 'a thing' to be used at will.

###

I have set our course anew, for Tom's sake. Between us we can fashion a life, change what of late had seemed to be our dismal portion. I must accept 'tis not for me to seek vengeance; the reckoning for le Pierre's sins is the business of Heaven.
If I could only but trust to the good sense of Heaven!