Chapter Two

Enjoy ;-)

••••

Monday morning rolls around much too quickly, and I'm reminded of that when my cursed iPhone begins its vibrations on the nightstand. Next comes the damned cheery salsa tune that has me slamming a pillow over my ears. As the haunting sound keeps on blasting, I groan through the torturous effort of reaching over to the device with the tip of my finger. Sensing victory, my head lifts slightly from the mattress... but the phone deviates from the pressure of my hand and tilts over the edge of the nightstand. I watch with absolute horror - now positively awake - as it cracks when it hits the polished floor. I let out an annoyed moan and bury my face in the pillow, screaming out curse words that are deafened by the soft squishiness. After mulling out various ways to pull off a sick-day, I finally give in and pull myself out of bed. I immediately feel the cold autumn air hit me. A shiver courses through me as I pad over to the open window with brows furrowed in confusion. Why does it keep opening up? After examining the lock and finding nothing remarkably out of place, I sigh, noting to myself to tell Dad about it later. If this is another case of my previously incessant sleepwalking, it's seriously starting to get out of hand. I'm going to catch hypothermia. And honestly, what will I do next? Jump out the window? I shudder at the thought. Yes, I seriously need to get it fixed; the window and me.

After having showered and dressed in a pair of plain jeans, a comfy and bright yellow sweater and combat boots, I quickly brush through my hazel curls and let them fall naturally, applying a thin layer of lip-gloss and mascara. The ends of my hair reflect blonde highlights as the morning light hits them in the mirror, and I absentmindedly twirl a lock around my fingers. Today is my first day at the new school. To say that I'm nervous would be an understatement. In fact, I'm slowly dying inside, to put it lightly. The fear is literally eating me from the inside out. I let out a shaky breath. "Get a grip," I mutter to myself, swinging my bag over my shoulder before proceeding out into the hall and down the stairs. As I take the first step, I catch a glimpse of Mum braiding my little five-year-old sister's golden hair with bright pink hairbands. She's in that phase: the Barbie dolls and the pinkness overload.

When I reach the last step I collide into comforting arms that wrap around me, and I bury my paling face in Dad's jumper. He pats the back of my head comfortingly. "Don't worry, Cami, it'll be fine. You're with Emma, remember?" I nod and take a step back, clearing my head with a deep inhale and steady exhale.

"I know, I'm just nervous. It's just school," I reply, forcing a tight smile back as he grins and nods once, heading back into the living room. I'm going to be totally fine, I remind myself. A new place, new friends, and a new beginning.

"Bye Dad," I say, beginning to shut the front door. I hear him say, "Get something to eat," before the door closes behind me. I barely register his words as my mind is already racing again. To deviate the bad course of action of those thoughts, I focus on the little red Mini pulling up on the side of the road. The passenger window rolls down and Emma's red hair pops into view.

"Get yo ass in here," she shouts, rolling it up again. I shake my head with amusement, swallowing down a lump in my throat. "It's going to be fine," I repeat over and over again as I walk towards the car and slide into the passenger seat. "You feeling okay," my best friend asks with a comforting tug of the lips as I shudder. I nod once, wiping my clammy hands on my jeans. Gross, just what I needed: sweaty palms. Willing the day to go well, I reach for the radio and turn it on. As Twenty One Pilots' Heavydirtysoul blares from the grills, Emma pulls out and the distance between my home and the awaiting school gradually decreases.