Exodus - Chapter 4

For the second time that day, Alexandra roused from her slumber and found herself on her own bed in the bunkers. The sun was already setting in the horizon and her dim room was only lit up by a candle illuminating on her bedside table. She propped her elbows on the mattress and squinted at her surroundings. A large figure sat up from a chair across from her and made its way towards the bed, revealing a weary looking Verono.

"Are you alright? I tried to wake you up when you start to toss and turn in your sleep." He questioned her, his handome face etched with worry.

"I guess I had a bad dream?" She wasn't even sure if it was a dream. It felt so real to her.

"How long have I been asleep? What happened to me? What about our training session? Where's Quinsten? Why am I on bedrest?" Alexandra started firing questions at her trainer. Her memory about today's events were vague and wondered what happened to her before.

Verono laughed in a deep baritone voice, "You really don't remember what went wrong two days ago?" Alexandra replied by shaking her head slowly, urging him to carry on explaining. Verono inhaled deeply and sat beside her. He looked at her dead in the eyes and retold the story in his perspective.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"And then you woke up from your coma and here we are," Verono gestured around the room with his hands.

"Oh. It's good that I don't remember anything. What occured in the break seemed really awful. What day is it then?" Alexandra raised an eyebrow at him.

"Ist day of the Setting Sun."

Her eyes almost popped out from their sockets. "Are you serious! Tonight's Midnight hunt! I can't miss that!" Then she realised that her eye patch was removed and she felt around her right eye to make sure it was fine. As she started to climb off her bed, Verono's hands grasped her waist tightly and laid her down on the bed again.

"Get your hands off of me!" She protested.

"Sorry m'lady. It's too dangerous for you to venture in the woods at this state. You can't even fight with a dagger." Verono rolled his eyes at her as she hit him continuously on his stone hard chest.

"I want to go! I need to go! Look, can't you see I'm absolutely well? My eye patch is gone too. I can properly see now that my right eye has healed! Everyone will laugh at me if they find out that I'm the only legionnaire in the history of the Southern Legion to miss the hunt! I can fend for myself and you know it too! Besides, you and Quinsten will accompany me." Alexandra pleaded with all her might.

"No can do princess. When your trainer tells you to stay, you better listen to his command!" Verono's authoritive voice concluded their argument. He let go of her waist and walked to the door. He glanced at her one last time and stormed out of the room.

Alexandra sighed in defeat. Out of all the trainers in the legion, why did I have to end up with that bum rag? Then she remembered that her own mother appointed Verono. "He is wise, strong and young," her mother would always say.

I need to find a way to get out of this place!

All of the trainees and their trainers have gathered in the training grounds to prepare for the hunt. They would head out and split into groups as soon as the clock strike twelve. Plenty of time to plan an escape route and join Quinsten without Verono noticing. But then she remembered that he would hike with them throughout the hunting session.

"Well, Verono wouldn't notice if I kill him. Right?" She thought out loud but quickly banished the absurd idea.

Guess he'll just have to deal with it then. He probably expects that I'll join them eventually.

Alexandra hopped off her bed and swiftly walked to her wardrobe to change into her leather training gear,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~