Day 5

I wasn't sure what to expect with Jason the next day, although I really never did. But I was hoping he realized that I really do want to help.

The buzz went off and in walked Jason, his ankles locked once again and Mack leaving us. I stared at Jason's hands that were still cuffed. Was I ready to unlock them?

"I thought about what you said," Jason started for the first time.

I looked at him, giving him my full attention. "You did?"

He nodded. "Yeah...and I'm confused."

"What about?"

Jason paused before speaking. "Why do you help people like me? People who screw up, people who are screw ups...and then there's people like you.  People like Katie Rose Hartford who have perfect lives that don't need this kind of stuff. Why do you do it?" He asked.

I hesitated before answering, wanting to give him a good answer. "Jason...my life is far from perfect. But I believe everyone has the right to a good life. Everyone makes mistakes in life, but sometimes people like you make mistakes that are...a lot bigger than others. I want to help people like you learn from those mistakes and prevent it from happening again. To have a good life," I explained.

"Do I have to remind you what I've done? You think I deserve a good life?"

"I think you deserve peace of mind," I countered.

Jason shook his head, chuckling. "You don't get it.  Peace of mind isn't always an option for someone like me. Sometimes we can't be changed."

"Everyone changes, Jason. Everyday you're slowly changing and you don't even realize it. Are you the same person you were five years ago?"

"No...I'm worse."

"And who's to say you can't change to be better?" I questioned. Jason was silent now, so I gave him some time to think. "How about we try the question thing again?" I suggested. Jason just nodded, so I started. "Do you have any siblings?"

Jason nodded. "I have an older brother named Alex," he answered. I felt like I had seen that in his files, the first basic page at least. "How did you become a doctor so early?"

I was a bit surprised Jason wanted to know this, but I was happy to answer. "My intelligence was high enough for me to skip grades and take college early. I got my doctorates by the time most people get a bachelors," I answered. "What was life at home like? Did you even have one home?"

"I have a few hideouts across the country, only one place that I would call home though," he answered.

"One that was more than just for business, for relaxing as well I assume."

Jason nodded. "The one place I felt...at peace..." He trailed off, referring to my earlier comment. I almost felt bad for him, but then again he brought this upon himself. "But it was only just me. What about you? What's your life at home like?"

I pushed the next question I had for him aside and answered. "I live alone in an apartment nearby. It's usually quiet, but it's how I like it," I answered.

"You know, sometimes quiet drives people crazy," Jason stared.

"Yeah well, I have people like you to balance out my quiet life at home," I grinned at him. Jason chuckled, looking down. "What about your brother? Where does he live?"

"Wherever he's needed, not just one place."

"Part of the gang too?" I questioned.

"Yeah, I'm sure he has his own place he considers home though," Jason said, uninterested. "Don't you have information like this in my file?"

"I do...but I want to get it from you. It's more reliable and I feel like I'm getting to know you, not just reading about you," I explained to him.

Jason chuckled. "You really are different from other therapists I've had, Katie."

I ignored the fact he called me by my first name.  "Is that a good thing?" I asked him like I did the first day.

"It might be."