Two

The next morning I woke up and took a shower. I honestly couldn't remember the last time I took one and I was probably starting to smell awful. I didn't know whether Phil was actually going to die soon or not but either was I was going to make the most of today. I hadn't gotten to spend Christmas with him and it was the middle of January and I was scared he was going to miss his birthday too. If I'm being honest, I didn't even buy Phil a Christmas gift this year. We were in the accident the last week of November so he didn't even make it to December. I spent the first week in the hospital with him and then the doctors made me leave.

Louise stayed with me at the flat for a few days but then she went home and I was left alone again. I tried to visit Phil as much as possible but I spent most of my time crying on the couch and refusing to leave our apartment. When Christmastime came I didn't do or speak to anyone. I left my phone alone and stayed off Twitter and Tumblr for almost two weeks. I only answered my phone on New Year's when Tyler texted me and told me if I didn't answer then he'd fly to London and beat my ass.

I didn't think he was serious, but I didn't really want to take the risk either. I might be a lot bigger than he is but Tyler is still pretty strong. Plus when you add in the fact that I had barely eaten in three weeks he could have poked my arm and I probably would have fallen over. I didn't really want to talk at all, but Tyler is very aggressive when he wants to be. After I told him I was fine he said "don't fucking lie to me. I know you better than that" and then I said I wasn't but I couldn't be then he told me to get my ass up and go see Phil so I could up and spent another week in the hospital and then they kicked me out again.

I hadn't visited Phil since and now they were telling me he might not make it. I wasn't sure if I should call his family or not as it might not be true but I also didn't want him to die and have his family miss their chance to have seen him beforehand.

Stop Dan. I scolded myself. Phil is not going to die. He's going to be okay. You'll see him again and so will the Lester's.

I got out of the shower and got dressed and made my way to the hospital. I stood in front of Phil's door for the first time in a week and took a deep breath, bracing myself for the worst.

Here it goes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I walked into Phil's hospital room, keeping my eyes on the floor. The pasty white tiles provided no comfort for me and looking at them was almost worse than looking directly at Phil. I looked up at him and winced. Almost worse. He still had his head wrapped and his face was still lightly bruised; it was healing which was a good thing but he didn't look great. I sighed heavily and pulled the chair up next to his bed.

"So," I began. "I got up early this morning-shocker, right? I was up before eight, but it was really because of you. I got a call from the doctor's last night; well it was two in the morning, and they told me you may not survive much longer but I refuse to believe that. I mean, I know you think you're Thor and all but I think that you're actually Superman. You can't die or be stopped and your only weakness is..."

I paused, thinking about it for a second.

"Well... it's me..." I said quietly. "If I'm in danger then you'll risk your life to save me. You're a hero, Phil. You're my hero. A little bit of a dumbass for doing what you did, but you're still my hero. Anyways, I'm getting distracted here. I cried a lot last night and fell asleep doing so but I woke up at five and I did some research about people in comas. Did you know you're in a coma? Like are you aware that you are not conscious but also kind of not unconscious? Does it work like that? I don't know. Anyways. I did some research and found out that you can talk to people in comas and they can hear you. Can you hear me? Wow I'm an idiot. You can't answer me. Way to go, Dan."