Chapter 2

"She's awake!" Someone shouts as I come to. I squint as bright light enters my vision. I feel rather groggy and uncomfortable. There's a slight pain in my shoulder. I glance at my now bandaged shoulder and the blue gown covering my body. There's also the people surrounding my bedside. I didn't know it was possible to fit this many people in one room. I'm sure this is against hospital policy, but I'm also sure my family could give less shits. 

"Is this a family reunion or something?" I raise an eyebrow at my family. Our family always meet up at least once a year for either winter or summer. We congregate at one of our relative's home; there's a rotation for the location.

Some of my immediate family members are in the room. My parents and Robin are currently at my bedside. Two of my uncles are in the hospital room as they rest on the couch with some of my cousins. My cousins Niccolo, Lorenzo, Enzo, and Roman sit with my uncles.

"Thank goodness you're okay." My parents look at me worriedly. My mom cups my cheek with her hand. I notice her other hand grasps her small phoenix medallion. She always fiddles with that medallion whenever she's worried; it's a tiny habit I've noticed over the years. 

"It was just a bullet wound mom. I'm fine." I smile. Then, I remember the shooting. "How were the civilians at Target? How many were injured? What was the casualty count? Did they arrest the shooters?" I look to anyone who will give me answers. Nobody gives me any answers for a minute before my dad speaks up.

"Fourteen were killed. Twenty-two were wounded." * He states gravely. His blue eyes flashes dangerously as something crosses his mind before they become warm as they look at me. 

"Am I part of those twenty-two?" I gulp, my throat feels completely dry right now. Robin gives me a knowing look and hands me a glass of water. I take it appreciatively. "Why did they target Target?" 

"They're saying it's a terrorist attack. It's all over the news. It's become a national security risk as they haven't found the shooters yet." Robin speaks up this time. He probably knows what is really going on. I'll have to talk to him privately.  

"Why are they covering it up? That was no terrorist attack. At least I don't think so?" I look to my parents for answers. 

My parents share a look. It's that look, the one where they appear to be telepathically communicating. It's also the look whenever they aren't going to tell me everything or something along that line. 

"You should rest up." My mom smiles as she leans and gives me a kiss on my forehead. My dad holds my hand and pecks my cheek. 

"I'll be outside if you need me. I need to make some calls. I'll update you later." My dad gets up to leave, "love you Naomi." 

"Love you too Dad." I roll my eyes. He can be such a softie sometimes. Him and my mom both. My parents sometimes act like we're never going to see them ever again.

My uncle Leo and Tony stand next to my mom to check up on me too. My brother goes back to talk to our cousins across the room.

"Hey there kiddo," Uncle Tony smiles. I'm always mildly shocked how much Niccolo and Lorenzo looks like a young version of him. 

"How's the shoulder?" Uncle Leo looks at my bandage before making eye contact with me.

"I think the painkillers are doing a great job right now." I try to make light of the situation.

"Now you can check this off your bucket list: surviving a bullet wound." Tony laughs heartily.

"Inappropriate." My mom frowns at him even though I can see her lips curl upward just a bit.