Chapter 45

I shut the door of my car and walked in the cafe, ordering some overdue hot chocolate and taking a seat on one of the booths.

A minute passed, then it's two, threw and soon, half an hour.

I tapped my nails impatiently on the wooden table. Where the hell is this guy?

Probably banging some chic; typical.

What? Me?

Jealous? Hah. Not a chance. Don't sweat it y'all, I've got my eyes on some hot piece of ass and it's definitely not the man-whore you're thinking about.

The bell above the door chimed, signaling another stranger's arrival. By then, I was already on my phone playing piano tiles 2 with an ear bud stuffing my left ear.

A hand landed on the table and jolted me back to reality and made me lose focus. My finger slipped and tapped the wrong tile, causing the song to end.

Goddamit.

That could've been a new best! This guy needs to know some things about manners. I couldn't wipe my annoyed expression even if I wanted to. I mean do you know how hard it is to tap this goddamn screen so many times with incredible speed? No? You should.

I looked up and saw Levy grinning at me and I was seconds away from punching his face. After not showing up, he finally does by ruining my golden chance to reach a new best in this stupid game.

Damn you, Levy.

I huffed in irritation as he took a seat in front of me. "So, what's up?" He asked while leaning back on his seat and sipped on his coffee.

I was waiting here for more than half an hour and he had the nerve to take his time and buy himself a cup of coffee.

I was this close to castrating the guy but managed to hold myself back and regain my composure; at least, enough to not kill him.

I cut to the chase and spewed out the reason that I was there in the first place.

"What do you mean you 'quit'?" Lev asked in an incredulous way. I looked at him with a hard expression.

"I mean I quit, Lev. I'm dropping out of the competition. No more fighting and beating people to win some stupid prize. It's not worth anything anymore," I told him in a tired manner only to have him accept none of it.

He looked at me like I was crazy and I shrugged in response. I was throwing all this away to start anew. I have Adam and his family to help out. I need to be there for them 24/7 and I can't give them my undivided attention if I have this ridiculous fight going on.

"What changed? I see that look, it's empty. The determination I saw in the Pixie I knew a few days ago is gone. What happened?" Levy's tone was laced with concern and I was dying to tell him everything and let him comfort me but I managed to hold myself back and reminded me that I was Pixie.

"The reason that I chose to fight is gone, there's nothing keeping me from walking away from this competition now. I don't need the money anymore," I voiced out in a low tone, whispering the last sentence and trying to prevent myself from going through another mental breakdown.

I shook my head, trying to get myself to snap out of it. I'm here to inform him that I quit the competition, not to have him interrogate me for my actions.

"I'll see you some time, Lev. Thanks for everything," I turned away and left him standing there in confusion.

I took out my phone while walking to the car I drove, calling my mother to ask her on her whereabouts. My parents called me last night to tell me that they were coming home and I immediately told them that I'll be picking them up from the airport so here I am, in a café shop that I asked Lev to meet me at on the way there to give him the quick information.