23.Left behind

"Sir what should we do?"

"......."

"Sir?"

"......"

"Zylen! He's asking something." Jake whispered.

I snapped out of my thoughts and looked up towards Terry. His forehead was creased with tension lines and the specs at the edge of his nose.

"Pardon me. What is it Terry?"

"Wh-what is it?! I just explained to you the whole situation and now you telling me to explain again!" He threw the papers on the table.
"Are you even concerned? Luther look at him he is-"

"Summarize."

Silence fell over the board members. Terry seemed to be at loss for words. He shuffled through his papers then huffed out.

"They have increased the rates."

"They aren't budging down." Another board member added.

Many of the board members started discussing again  about the hike.

"Silence." I announced and everybody shut up in a split second.
"Set up a meeting with Mickelson. He needs to be reminded about his market position." I got up from my seat.
"This meeting is over."

After all the board members left.
I walked towards the glass panel looking out down the busy city street.

"Now that is something." Jake commented from behind.

"What?" I asked without looking back at him.

"Man I have been noticing since these past two months and you have changed a lot."

"What do you mean?"

"By what?"

"We both know it Zylen." Jake stood beside me.

"I don't know."

"Since the divorce."

"Jake please-"

"C'mon it's clear."

"Leave ,will you?"

"Nope."

"Leave." I exhaled out.

"I will unless you tell me what the hell is that ring still doing on your finger."

I glanced down at the platinum ring which shined on my finger.
"Nothing it's none of your business."

"Nobody knows about it right? At least tell your dad."

"I don't need your advise on that."

"For how much time will you be bullshitting huh?"

"It's not that."

"Then what is it?"

I didn't answer in return. I kept on staring down.

"You can't fool them for long. The media. They will dig it out someday. And when they do it will be ugly."

"I don't care about them."

"Then what?"

"If I do. Then Tiffany will also have to face the havoc which I don't want. She was hammered last time because of me ."
I turned back at Jake to see him looking at me incredulously.
"Mom and Dad will have worse. Plus Duncan and his family

"You are unbelievable."
He laughed sarcastically.
"Let me tell you something. You can't keep this up and you know it. You gotta tell. People have started speculating and if they find it out through the media then it would be worse."
He paused and picked up his file.
"Especially for Tiffany."
I looked towards him and he gave me a  knowing nod.
"Think about it."

I went and sat on my chair pushing it back.
I never gave a thought removing the ring. The more I thought about it the more it disturbed me.
The telecom buzzed and I was required somewhere. I got up and walked out of the room.

It was late evening in the office and I went about through some files. I noticed the time and decided to call it a day.

"Good night Mr Marc." Martin the building watchman greeted me.

"Good night Martin. Keep her safe."
I put my coat on as my car rolled in front of me.

"Yes I sir will."

I got into my car and left the place.

In my office room of my penthouse I went through my schedule and closed off for today. Taking my mug with me I left the room.

I recently developed a habit of walking through the corridors of my house. I was passing by the paintings which adored the corridor.
She was so intrigued by the paintings that day.

I frowned when I found myself thinking about her.
She had plagued my whole mind and body.
From the very day we met I felt so strongly  towards her. The way she sat straight with her hands on her table  looking outside the window during the dusk in that library.
Her thick wavy hair which was tied behind yet some strands dared to fall out. The way she played with that chain whenever she was in deep thought.Her long dark shapely thick brows creased at her each expression. Her dark black eyes were always a mystery and her lips. The dress she wore that day perfectly highlighting her slim frame.
She surprised me when she got up from table, standing tall.
She had led the way and I had blindly followed too busy in noticing her.

I sat on the bed. It was her room where she stayed for a long time during the time of our marriage.
She looked beautiful on the wedding day in the vintage simple dress she wore.

"Dammit Zylen stop it."
I scolded myself.
I rubbed my face and the cold ring felt against my face.
I saw my hand and for a minute stared at ring. I took it out slowly examining it.
My twisted reflection was visible on it.
The ring suddenly slipped out of hand clinking on the floor on rolling under the bed.

"Shit!"
I crouched down to look for it.
The ring was there resting safely.It hadn't gone that deep and I put my hand to retrieve it.
I grasped the ring immediately but my hand struck against something cardboard hard palm sized.
Slipping on my ring I again put my hand inside pulling out a hardbound book.
I sat up on the bed again.
Dust had settled on it and I blew it away.
It was a diary.
I opened it and on the first page something was written.

Dear keep on writing to me while we are away.
Your Dad..

On the top left corner a name was scribbled.
I immediately closed the book staring ahead at wall.

"Tiffany..."