Chapter Five

Chapter Five 

                    ~~~~~ Alex - Do Not Draw Any Attention to Yourself ~~~~~

The day I had been dreading for the past week had arrived. I knew it would come eventually, but I did not expect to be this... nervous about it.

'Why in the world are you nervous? You've done this far too many times to be nervous.' it's different this time. 'How so?' I actually want to give it my best. 'Don't. You. Dare.' But why? Why not try something new?

"You ready?" asks Rachel from the driver seat while I just stare out the car window looking at what is going to be my new school. I turn to face her trying to hide the fear but she notices it right away. I look away quickly avoiding her worried gaze.

"You have my number as well as mikes on your phone. If anything happens just give us a call" Rachael reaches over and gives me a hug. I hug her back needing all support and thankful that she is there to provide it.

"Go on and have a great first day." Rachel says opening the window. She smiles and drives away. I turn and look around.

The building itself is huge with its cream color bricks and banners of honors it has won. The yard is filled with students of all shapes and sizes. Everyone is segregated in their own little groups. Some are in large groups while some are in smaller groups or even alone.

The emo students are in the back discussing a new rock concert that was announced yesterday. The loners are sitting alone scattered all over either reading a book or looking around. The texters are sitting in a table texting the person right next to them. The nerds are in the front of the school with their textbooks out discussing a math problem, while a group of cheerleaders point and laugh at them. The jocks are just sitting on a table looking at the cheerleaders in their short skirts and shirts that leave no room for imagination. 

Rachael had said that this was one of the most prestigious high schools in the region. It has won multiple awards for academics and for its service to the community. 

'Are you sure she was talking about this particular high school.' Well the rock sign says "Trinity Academy" so I guess this is it. 

"Heads up!" Someone shouts from the other side bringing me back. I lift my head and see a football coming my way. My reflexes kick in as I grab the football with ease. Everyone around me stops what they are doing and turn to stare at me as I toss the ball from hand to hand. 

"Hey can you throw that. But don't break a nail now, you hear!" The same guy says running a little further away grinning. Putting my things down and adjusting my cap I take the football firmly in my hands. Once I have all my fingers in the right spot, I take a deep breath and aim for the guy. 

'Give him everything you've got. Don't hold out on me.' Oh trust me, I won't. 

The football spins in the air above everyone's heads as it slips off my fingers, making its way to the guy 10 yards away. He catches the ball but the impact knocks him to the ground. He cries in pain as he holds his stomach and rolls on the ground. 

"Jason!" his friends yell and go to his aid. The cheerleaders immediately stop what they’re doing and run to him asking if he's okay while glaring at me. 

'Now that is multitasking.' 

I grab my things and make my way towards the entrance not wanting to draw even more attention to myself. They all just stare and move out of the way I as make my way up the stairs into the massive school.