sixteen

fanart by @okaidokimirii

D A N ' S   P O V

"I'm not schizophrenic,"

Phil then opened the door to our hotel room, grocery bags in his hands and wide eyes.

Bryony and I were yelling at each other again, though luckily this time I didn't have any weapons in my hand.

"Yes you are! It's only going to become worse if you keep denying it." Bryony chastised. I clenched my fists.

"Fuck you," I spat. Phil dropped the bags and quickly shuffled over, placing his hands on my shoulders. I tensed but relaxed once he spoke.

"Dan, calm down."

I glared. "Is that all you can say to me now? Both of you treat me like a damn child, it's irritating. Tell Bryony to calm down!" 

"What drugs did you take, Jesus Christ."

"I'm fine." I ran my hands through my hair, sitting on the edge of the bed. Suddenly there was a knock.

We all froze. "Who is it?"

"Room service!" A lady replied.

Phil dug out his pocket knife and hid it behind his back just in case. "Come in!"

The door opened, revealing the face of an old lady in her formal cleaning outfit. I looked up at her, swallowing roughly as I tightened my grip on the sheets.

"Do you think I'm crazy?"

"Dan, please-" Bryony exhaled.

"I'm asking her a question," I growled, then turned back to her with a forced toothy smile. "Now, do you, or do you not think I'm crazy?"

"N-no, sir."

I grinned, standing and poking her nose with my pointer finger. "Good answer," I complimented. Then I moved to Phil, grabbing his knife and twisting it around in my hand as I sauntered towards her. "What about now?" She began to back away, fear etched over her face.

"Dan!" Phil snapped. I heard stomping behind me and in the corner of my eye, a hand reached out. I instinctively reacted, slashing the weapon backwards.

"Get away from me!" I cried.

There was a yelp as the wound immediately began to bleed, dripping onto the carpet. "What the hell!"

I turned and gulped, seeing Phil holding his now bleeding hand. My eyes watered and I dropped the knife. "Phil. . . I didn't mean to- oh my god, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. . ."

Bryony looked at the trembling maid. "Get out of here. Say a word to any of the workers and you'll regret it, got it? I'm so sorry about all this."

The maid grabbed her things. "Yes ma'am. Th-thank you."

Bryony nodded once before the maid immediately swung open the door, running out and shutting it after her. Phil furrowed his eyebrows at me.

I stepped forward, causing him to take two steps back. "Phil. . . please. . . let me help, you're bleeding."

I reached out to take his hand but he yanked it from my grasp. "Yeah, because of you."

"Phil-"

"This is getting out of control. You wanna blame me for all of our bullshit? What about now, Dan? That lady was being nothing but nice yet you had the audacity and ignorance to be so damn rude to her, and for what? To prove a point? Not to mention you didn't think before you cut my hand."

"I. . ." I reached out, leaving my hand in place. "I'll go take a walk or something, I should clear my head."

"No, that's not safe-" Bryony began, but Phil cut her off.

"Let him go."

"Phil-"

"I can handle myself, you aren't my mother. My mother's dead, because of your deadbeat boyfriend."

"You're all kinds of fucked up," she snarled. "I don't know why Phil stays with you. If I was him, I would've left ages ago."

"Bry-" Phil began, but I gritted my teeth and left, shutting the door after me. I left the hotel and shoved my hands into my pockets, grumpily making my way down the pavement to nowhere in specific.

I watched people walk by, children clinging to their mother's sleeves, dogs attached to leashes pulled by their owners, birds sitting on roofs and hands on steering wheels as cars drove past. I let out a breath, shutting my eyes.

"Momma! There's too many people, I don't like it!" I whined, clinging tightly to her hand. She chuckled softly, leaning down.

"It's alright, Daniel. They won't hurt you, and if they try to they're gonna have to go through me first," my mother told me, flexing her muscles and laughing. I giggled.

"Promise?"

My mother smiled, kissing the top of my head before standing back up. "Pinky promise," she said. I raised my hand and intertwined our pinkies. "I'll always protect you, okay?"

"Okay, momma. I'll protect you too!"

She grinned, taking my hand as we walked through the busy street. "We'll protect each other."

"Yeah!" I shouted, grinning widely.

I looked down at my feet, sighing. I should probably head back now. It's getting dark, I thought.

I stood and began walking home when I had the feeling that someone was following me, instantly on high alert as I quickened my pace.

I dug out my phone, trying to show the person I could call for help and shoo them off. But the feeling didn't go away. I tilted my head and saw a figure in the corner of my eye- the person in dark clothing. I dialed Phil's number, calling him and pressing it to my ear.

I took a sharp turn and slowed my pace, cautiously turning around.

I was alone. I exhaled, calming down. I turned back around and screamed when they appeared right in front of me.

"Hello?" Phil spoke over the phone, but I couldn't reply as my head was shoved into a bag and my hands were tied behind my back. I thrashed and kicked, desperate to get away. I dropped my phone. "Dan?" I heard Phil. "Are you okay? Answer me!"

I tried to cry out but couldn't, my voice muffled by the cotton against my mouth. Without warning, I felt something collide with the side of my head and fell forward, my vision going to black.

I hit the ground.