chapter twenty six

Dedication to @BadLandsCliffo for their wonderful words I came across in the comments section. I felt like everyone needed to see this!

**

chapter twenty six

     THE WEEK WENT BY INCREDIBLY SLOW; probably because I haven't seen May since Sunday night. Also, probably because all the talk of me being gay spread around school and no one would leave me alone. It was annoying and unnecessary. Now I just get mad whenever someone comes up to me and asks me about it. Half the time I don't even know their name, so I'm not really sure how they know me.

     I sighed as I shoved my hands into my pockets and walked down the street with Julia by my side. No one has really found out that she slept with Mason; she broke up with Chad before things got out of hand. I don't even think Chad knows the real reason she broke it off. She just said that she told him "it's not you, it's me."

     It's all a little ridiculous, I know.

     "Want to stop in the Starbucks over there?" Julia pointed her finger down the street. I looked at the popular coffee shop and nodded my head.

     "Sure." I replied.

     When we got inside, the line practically looped around two tables. Who knew that the busiest time to buy coffee was at four in the afternoon? Kind of strange, if you ask me, but I'm one of the people to be contributing to this weird time.

     I ordered a vanilla bean frappuccino and Julia ordered a java chip frappuccino. We sat down with our drinks in the corner of the store and just took a few minutes to sip it and look out the window.

     We were still a little new at this 'awkward friendship' thing. Some things are the same from before, but it's been so long that I've forgotten how we used to fit. I'm still self cautious around her and I'm afraid that I'll do something stupid again and she'll run away even farther than last time.

     I know I won't kiss her again, though. I already have someone else I'm kissing.

     "What'd you get on Mr Jacobson's test?" Julia's big eyes peered out from behind her straw. I set my drink down and crossed my right leg over the left.

     "An A minus." I answered. Her entire jaw dropped which caused me to chuckle a little. "What?" I smiled, "What'd you get?" I picked up my drink again.

     "I got a C!" She erupted loudly. I looked around to see if anyone was bothered by her loud voice, but no one seemed to be glaring in our direction. "What the hell - I thought everyone got a bad grade on that test."

     "An A minus is kind of bad..." I trailed off and took a sip of my cold drink.

     "Are you kidding me?" She laughed, "An A minus is amazing; I'd even kill to have a B minus." She sat back in her chair and sipped her drink. I smiled at her before I set my phone on the table and saw that I had a few text messages. I set my drink down and picked up my phone.

     I responded to my mom to let her know where I was and smiled when I opened up May's texts.

     May Parker: 911 my dad is trying to bake a cake!!!!

     Ashley James: why a cake?

     May Parker: bc our neighbors brought us cookies and he thinks we owe them!! he doesn't know how to cook OH BRB something fell it might've been my dad