Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Oliver's POV

So you'd rather I go to school with a 38.2 °C fever than miss another day of school?
I thought, bitter at Mother as I rest my head against the dirty window of the bus. Feeling the love, Mother.

Quickly looking around to make sure nobody was around—nope nobody—I let out a long, loud groan.

The bus driver's eyes flickered towards me for a second, giving me a 'what the hell, kid?' look before turning back to the road.

I sighed. Oh, woe is me. I have to go to school sick, deal with bitches all day, deal with a bigger bitch in chemistry, and then finally, go home and be a bitch at home.

If only those plans wasn't tarnished with burdens like 'homework' and 'chemistry project with an asshole'.

I got off the bus at the stop outside my school and took a long, deep breath in, getting all the irritation out of my system so I wouldn't blow up at some dumb-ass piece of shit classmate.

Even sick, I wouldn't let my smile drop for a single moment. Not unless I planned for it to.

I'm sure I could get away with not being 'myself' for a day, considering I was obviously physically ill.

But in the long run, it was easier to suck it up and fake nice anyways.

The last thing I want was a complicated high school life too. I had enough troubles at home. While I don't care about others, I care about preventing others from creating trouble for me.

I made it past the gates and took a resigned look at the barred windows.

Gates. Barred windows. Was it a prison, was it a cage? No, it was a school, simply created and designed to feel like a prison or cage.

"Oliver! Hey!" I heard a cheer when I walked through the main doors.

I immediately grinned in the direction of the voice, making myself appear as soft and friendly as I could.

"Hello, Emily, Drake." I didn't raise my voice, so Emily and Drake came closer to me.

We stood to the side when a group of kids—the soccer team—passed by, nodding back at whichever extras waved at me. Only when they passed did I continue to walk over.

Highschool and its social politics dynamics. It was a pity I was so good at playing a game I hated.

"Hey man," Drake nodded, flashing me a smile when we met halfway. "Haven't seen you in a bit."

He wrapped an arm around Emily, who giggled and leaned into his chest.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. What was with the pointless affection? They were going to break up within two months. I would bet my lunch money on it.

"I'm out for a week and we've got a new prom king and queen," I joked, nodding at their conjoined bodies. "You finally got together? Congrats!"

Emily beamed. "Thanks, Olly!"

I bit my tongue, barely stopped myself from cringing. Who gave her the right to call me that?! I despised nicknames!

'Olive' was on thin ice, but Olly, Ol, O, Lee, Liv, Livy, Liver—I would tolerate absolutely none of that!

But I just grinned and nodded.

"Why were you out for so long?" Emily leaned forward, eyes flickering over my body, hungry. "Did you get in a fight?"