3| growl away

"Hi Jamie!" I smiled sweetly at my friend who looked ready to murder me. "Isn't it a fine night?"

A low, but powerful growl echoed off the walls of the huge office but I didn't turn, not even to see where the delicious aroma of cake was coming from. James helped me up, or rather forced me up when he saw that I wasn't making a move to stand up. He tried to shield me from the person from where the growl emitted from, but in vain.

I felt a powerful, tantalising aura making its way across the room and towards me. All my senses were on high alert and the fine hair on my arms and unshaven legs had started to rise up due to the electric feel.

He was my mate, he had to be. I had heard stories about the maddening power of the mate bond and there was no explanation for the way I was feeling. From my peripheral vision I saw James come to stand in front of me, and a long with him other Silver Eclipse pack members surged forward, causing the male werewolf to growl again.

He certainly has a way with words.

"Let him come." I told James, putting a hand on his shoulder to assure him of my confidence. He reluctantly moved away but didn't go far. My possible mate didn't seem to like my buddy-behaviour with James and finally uttered a single word.

"Move!" James eyes flashed black for the second time in a night. The anonymous males voice was so, smooth. There was no other way to describe it. I think James finally caught onto what was happening before him, a mate bond was a dangerous thing to mess with, so he took a careful step aside, still close enough in case he needed to protect me.

The man who finally came within my line of sight with no obstruction was absolutely, heartbreakingly gorgeous. He had dark hair that was similar to my own, perfect lips and a straight nose that no other male could match(though I think that's the bonds doing). His silvery grey eyes confirmed what I had already guess, he was my mate and he was beautiful.

"You're beautiful." He put his hand forward, presumably to tenderly stroke my cheek, or choke me to death for disturbing his meeting, but I put a hand up.

"Don't touch me." I backed away. "Not till I allow it."

"I can't touch what's mine?" He asked me confused.

"Yours?" It was my turn to be confused.

"You deny the mate bond?" I wasn't great at reading emotions, but I could see that he was angry, and a little disappointed at my resistance. If he was looking for an obedient little mate, he was in for a rude awakening.

"I don't. But I'm not an inanimate object." I explained.

"That wasn't my implication." He tilted his head at me curiously, searching for something. But what? "You're a rogue?"

"I am."

"But yet you are living here?" He could probably smell the pack land on me, a strong alpha could usually pick up pack scents well.

"Perhaps we can talk about this in private?" I felt uncomfortable talking about our mate bond in front of the Silver Eclipse pack members and his guards. He gave a look towards a tall man who nodded and walked away with the rest of his people following.

"James?" I asked my friend for a silent favour, and though he still looked worried for me, he knew that mates rarely could harm their significant others.

"I'll be right outside. Harm her and be rest assured there will be blood spilt." James warned the man in front of me who gave him a menacing glare. I could see that he was barely controlling his answer towards my best friend, so I nodded quickly and closed the door.

"Don't mind him, he's just- protective." The man nodded, his full concentration focussed on me.

Once the room was empty I felt the nervous energy inside me explode. My still nameless mate looked like he was in deep thought and the awkwardness was starting to rise.

"So what's your name?" I was tired of thinking of my mate as the nameless handsome alpha, so I finally decided to ask him.

"Arden Jackson, Alpha of the Sangre Leikos pack." Oh shit. I felt my eyes widen at the name. James jittery behaviour in the morning and extra careful behaviour around his
impending arrival now made complete sense as he was one of the strongest Alpha's with a reputation that wasn't the kindest.

I always made sure to steer clear of his pack's boundary lines when out in the wild as the tales of his ruthlessness and unforgiving behaviour was known by even the newest of rogues. He hated us. Absolutely loathes us.

"You hate rogues." I noticed the way his fists clenched together tightly, and then unclenched almost as quickly.

"What's your name?" He asked me instead of replying to my question.

"Rosemarie."

"That's a pretty name.

"Thanks, I know." I did a playful hair flip before I realised who I was with. "Sorry."

"Don't apologise. A mate tends to show off her best qualities and assets in her mates presence." I almost laughed at the seriousness with which he said that.

"I'm not trying to impress you." I crossed my arms over my chest.

"It's unconsciously done." He said, and for the first time I saw him smile. It was barely there but it was worth catching.

"I'm amazing, I ooze awesomeness, I don't need to explain myself to you." I narrowed my eyes at my mate. I thought they were supposed to be loving and hopelessly in love!

"Well you are going to be stuck with me for a long time, I think it's time you start."

~•~•~•~•~•~

P L E A S E. N O T E- Hereafter if you see their pack name given as Bloodhowlers, do not get confused. I have changed it(for a few reasons) to Sangre Leikos. I'm sorry if you prefer one over the other.

Happy reading!