Chapter 4

That weekend, Cameron and Nate decided to meet up at a restaurant to discuss some basic things, Cameron making it clear that she would not go into matters of her personal life- well, her past.

     Nate sat at a table in the center of the restaurant, glancing constantly at his watch. He sighed, it was ten minutes past eight and she was supposed to arrive at eight. He hissed, always loathing tardiness. 

    The constant chattering that once assailed the restaurant turned to whispers, Nate immediately turning to the entrance to see what was the cause. His breath suddenly hitched in his throat as he stared upon the person that caught everyone's attention.
    Cameron had entered, wearing a short black dress that hugged her petite body like a glove and clung to her like a lover. It was very short and tight, emphasizing her flared hips, tiny waist, and firm breast that was nicely fitted in the low cut cleavage dress. Her legs were endlessly long, and smooth, and tempting to have any sensible man run his down them. Her hair was neatly styled in a French twist, with few long curly tendrils of hair falling down her slender neck and at the frontal section of her head.

   Nate swallowed. He had always thought Cameron was a beautiful and sexy woman, but at the moment, he realized what a great deal of an understatement that was. She gave the word beautiful a whole different perspective. Nate shifted his eyes to the other diners in the restaurant. He noticed how the men looked at her in hunger and the woman in envy. He smiled,  well he could bet the men would be looking at him in envy at any moment.

   Nate got up and pulled out a chair for her when she arrived at the table.

     "You look good", he said casually, although he knew that 'good' was too little a word to describe how she looked.

Cameron smiled faintly.  "Thanks, and sorry for being late. Looking good never came easy", she winked at him, before she took a seat.

Nate grinned, as he too took his seat. "Let's order", he said smoothly, snapping his fingers to get the attention of a nearby waiter.

The waiter approached. "Yes sir?".

    "I'll have a potato salad, and a glass of your best wine, please", he said firmly.

The waiter nodded and turned to Cameron. "And you madam?".

She looked up from the menu and smiled. "I'll have the barbecued chicken and grilled veggies", she said, then paused "and oh, the pasta," she grinned.

The waiter blushed. "Any uh...any beverage to go with that?", he asked in a polite tone.

    "Yes of course, something to wash all that down with– anything, but wine".

The waiter smiled "OK ma'am", he said, then walked away.

Cameron's gaze followed him "Nice ass", she smiled to herself, turning around to find Nate staring at her with a bitter look on his face.

    "What?", she asked blankly.

     "Don't you have any respect?", he hissed.

Cameron cocked a brow. "Excuse me?"

     "I heard your remark about the young man", he accused drily.

     "And?", she drawled, looking genuinely confused.

Nate sighed. "Forget it. By the way, are you really going to eat all that food you ordered?"

Cameron looked at him as if he'd lost his mind."Of course. Why else would I order it?", she asked rhetorically, then sighed and continued. "I seriously don't know how rabbit food like what you ordered could fill your tummy", she muttered.

Nate smiled briefly. "Sometimes the reason for eating is not to fill the gap, but to satisfy", he stated.

Cameron snorted. "Well, I'm satisfied when the gap is filled".

Nate chuckled. "Must be a large gap", he teased.
Cameron grinned, realizing that maybe Nathaniel Caine was not the tough cookie everyone considered him to be.

     A few minutes later, they both got served and was eating, Cameron being the first to dig in.

     "So", Nate began, taking a sip of his wine. "Let's talk".

Cameron swallowed. "I need to concentrate on my food", she exclaimed before continuing with her meal.

Nate laughed. "What?".

     "If I'm eating, I'm eating, and if I'm talking, I'm talking. I don't mix the two", she said jutting the fork in his direction, while she chew vigorously on a piece of chicken.

Nate stared at her in disbelief. "So I'm to wait until you finish eating that family size?", he exclaimed thickly, his tone clipped.

Cameron blurted out laughing, making a pig-like snort between laughter. The women at the nearby tables suddenly looking at her in disgust and disbelief, clearly finding disapproval in Cameron's manner.

Cameron turned to them. "What y'all looking at?!", she snapped, her voice still trembling with laughter, when she saw the hysteric expressions on their faces.
The women immediately turned their attention to their partners, whispering lightly while they glared at Cameron through side glances.

   "Do you have to be so rude?", Nate asked tightly, with fiercely narrowed dark eyes.

Cameron scoffed and used a hand to fan him off, ignoring his jibe. She then dug back into her food once more, forgetting Nate and everybody else when the taste of the grilled veggies hit her tongue.

   Nate sighed as he watch her devour the food. Never in his life had he seen a woman eat in such an unladylike manner...and especially in public. He'd gone out with many women throughout the years and he had always thought he knew and understood everything there was to know about them; boy was he wrong. This one sitting in front of him was a puzzle, who cared zero about what other thought of her. She did things because she wanted to please herself and only herself.
Nate wasn't sure if he should be appalled or intrigued. Maybe he was both.

    He smiled to himself, well, even if the following week would be one of pretense, he knew he was going to have fun. His gaze then shifted to Cameron, whose attention was solely on the food she was eating. Boy, was he eager to see how the family reunion would play out.

              *************

   Fifteen minutes later, they were both done with their meals, Cameron's plate looking as though it was just washed.

      "So, let's talk now", she smiled, shoving the empty plate from in front of her.

    "Finally!", he exclaimed, hands flying skywards. "Anyway, my family is a big one so you'll have to know some names, but I'll just give you the ones you'll have to know", he informed smoothly.

Cameron nodded. "Sure thing".

     "My mother's name is Marjorie Caine, and my father's name is Edward Caine. You will address them by their titles Mr. and Mrs. Caine, until if they say otherwise", he pointed out firmly.

Cameron rolled her eyes. "Didn't you think I know that?".

    "I don't know. You're full of surprises", he drawled lazily. "Anyway, if they ask, how long we've been seeing each other, its three months".

    "Isn't that a short time to decide that you wanna marry someone?", she asked cocking a brow.

    "Well, I've never mentioned a fiancée until a week ago, so longer than that may seem odd", he informed. "And remember, we're in love", he grinned.

    "Yeah, sure", Cameron scoffed, her tone laced with sarcasm.
She sighed, hoping to get this reunion thing over and done with. She smiled, well maybe it wouldn't be that bad, after all, she was getting paid and this was a big one. What could possibly go wrong? she thought then turned her attention back to Nate, a smug smile on her face, while she mentally noted what he told her.

____________________________________