Chapter 18 - Looks

Bright light woke you up. You groaned and rubbed your head. Something was attached to your arm, like a hospital tube. You tried to examine it, but your vision was blurry. You tried to call out, but your throat was sore. It was then that you realized the pain you were in. Your body was aching all over. Your head was throbbing, and there was a strange ringing in your ear.

The sound of a door opening seemed to clear things up a little.

"(Y/N)! Oh, thank Manny." North's voice grew nearer to you as he spoke.

You couldn't reply to him, but you smiled weakly at the blurry image before you.

"Are you feeling all right? The Yetis said that you would be hurting."

You just nodded. He was still for a moment, then he moved and picked something up off the table. "Does anything sound good to you? Are you hungry? Thirsty?"

"Water," you whispered, your voice hoarse. "Please."

You vision was getting a little better. He smiled, then sat down in the chair next to your bed. A Yeti walked in and handed you a glass of water. Your hand shook as you brought it to your lips. North caught it as it slipped from your fingers, and helped dribbled water into your mouth.

"Thank you," you murmured. You coughed and felt something change a little.

"Oh, (Y/N)," North said, putting the glass down, "You look so different."

Alarmed, you sat up a little. After a quick bout of dizziness cleared, you moved your legs off of the bed. The covers slipped off of your legs, and you gasped. A long, olive green dress covered you. It was covered with vines and flowers. Your feet were mostly bare, but had leaf-like coverings on the heels and balls of your feet. Looking down more, you saw a matching green corset wrapped with more vines and flowers. You examined your arms. Sleeves came from your shoulders and shifted into your skin in the middle of your forearm. From there, vines wrapped around your wrists and hands. You slid off of the bed and walked towards a mirror, your legs wobbly. North stood and helped support you as you moved. Recovering yourself, you adjusted your new clothes and looked up, then gasped. Your hair had turned a gorgeous auburn (if your hair is already auburn, you lucky goose ignore that), and vines had grown into it. Braids and flowers adorned your hair. You batted at something next to your face, then turned and saw a butterfly. It landed on your nose.

"What... What am I?" you asked North.

"We are thinking Mother Nature."

You looked back at the mirror and stared at your reflection. You did look different; you couldn't decide what you thought of it. But your mind quickly shifted to something else.

"What happened to Jack, and Tooth, a-and Sandy? Did you rescue Cupid?"

"They are fine. Cupid is resting. The Yetis are taking care of her."

"What happened to Bunny? Is he alive? How badly was he hurt?"

North looked passed you. You turned around and saw a Yeti standing there. He was holding Bunny's wrist cuffs and two Easter eggs. Another bag was hanging from his arm.

"Not now, Phil," North groaned, but you weren't hearing any excuses.

"What happened to him, North?" you yelled.

"(Y/N), getting upset will not help anything."

You moved towards the door as quickly as you could, a burst of adrenaline pumping through you. You slipped passed Phil, who tried but failed to stop you, and jumped into the room. You stopped on a balcony, then raced to the door next to you.

"(Y/N), wait! You cannot see him now, he is—"

You pushed the door open and saw Bunny lying in a bed similar to yours, but there were more monitors and hospital-like objects and machines around him. He was covered by a light sheet. Dried blood was crusted along his ears and head. His nose and cheeks had scratches on them that looked like they had been cleaned by a toddler. A cloth was wrapped around his chest and went down underneath the sheet; you couldn't see where it ended. His paws rested lightly on the top of the covers; one was wrapped in thick gauze. Blood soaked through it.

You started towards him, but were stopped by a Yeti grabbing your shoulders.

"Let me go!" you cried. "Let me see him! He's hurt!"

"(Y/N), stop," North commanded. "You can't go near him."

You spun around. "Why not? I need to help him!"

"The best way to help him is to let him rest."

"North, he's hurt. His wounds need better treatment."

"He's immortal, (Y/N). Manny is going to help him."

"I—" You sighed. "I wanna do something."

"Leave him be. He'll be fine in a couple of days."

A couple of days? That'll take forever! you thought. As North led you out of the room, you looked back over your shoulder. Bunny looked awful. You hung your head, ashamed. In a couple of days, you would have started learning your powers without him. It's my fault.