Stumbling Forward

"C'mon, kiddo. You can do it."

Camila sat on the living room couch, watching attentively as fourteen-month-old Leo slowly made his way across the floor toward Lauren, her arms outstretched and her smile hopeful. "That's right, Leo. You almost got it..."

His nose crinkled in an adorable expression of concentration, Leo shakily rose once more to his feet as his hands groped for support on the legs of the side table before him. Lauren stood less than two feet away, but there were no more structures for the boy to use to hold himself up. Completing the journey to his mother would have to be solely on his own balance.

As Leo stumbled forward in uneven, trembling steps, both Camila and Lauren watched with breathless anticipation. But the distance became too much and Leo's balance faltered, his progress cut short by an unceremonious fall on his bottom. Lauren's face fell as she sighed, moving to her son right himself. "That's okay, buddy. You're learning."

Camila watched disappointment shadow her wife's eyes as the other woman took a seat beside her. "I was so sure he had it this time, Camz."

"He'll get it eventually, babe. He just needs time."

"Maybe, but the doctor did say-"

Camila cut her off with a kiss, pulling back a moment later to see Leo looking at them with wide-eyed curiosity. She playfully tweaked the boy's nose, earning a squeal and little hands reaching for her. "The doctor can say what he wants, Lauren." She settled Leo into her lap, dropping a kiss to the top of his head. "Children move at their own pace."

At the confident tone she used, Lauren gave her a dubious look, eyes narrowing with suspicion. "You've already talked to Clarke and Raven, haven't you?"

Camila looked away, suddenly finding the top of their son's curly-haired head fascinating. "...last week...and maybe Mani...and Ally."

Lauren let out a breath at the mention of her sister-in-law, who lived right next door. The woman certainly did not like her, and Lauren feared for her safety at future family functions. "Yeah," she said with a roll of her eyes as she lay back against the couch, Camila reclining into her, "That's just who I want to take parenting advise from. The woman hates me."

"Be nice," Camila chided as a drowsy Leo nestled closer to her and began to drift off, Lauren wrapping a protective arm around both of them. "She means well. She raised me, didn't she? And you love me."

Lauren only let a small smile curl onto her lips as she ran her fingers through chocolate hair. "Well, can't argue with that logic." Camila hummed with pleasure as she leaned into the touch, her head falling back to rest against Lauren's shoulder.

Camila smiled as she let her body curl into Lauren's much like their son's was nestled into her own. "Lauren Jauregui," she whispered, tucking her head under Lauren's chin, "You're nothing but a softie."

Lauren gave a small huff, but didn't say a single word to deny it.

xx

Later that afternoon, a cacophony of noise, a mix of excited barking and childish giggling, startled the two women cleaning up after lunch, causing them to exchange puzzled looks. They rushed for the living room, a last-minute thought keeping them from crashing into the baby gate separating the rooms.

The sight that greeted them left them nothing short of astounded. In the center of the room, Leo was walking, guided by the hold he had on Stitch's fur. The Husky was moving forward in slow, loping steps, mindful of the toddler clutching at his hindquarters.

Camila shook her head in wonder, as Lauren groaned and slapped her hand to her forehead. "Two months," she growled, "Two months we try to get him walking, and it's the mutt that does it."

Stitch looked at them with what Lauren could only call a smug look on his furry face, gently shrugging off Leo's hold as he went to curl up on the floor. Camila grinned as she bent down to meet the toddling boy, moving to her in shaky but firm footsteps. She cuddled Leo close, covering his face with comically loud kisses that left the little boy in helpless giggles.

"Does it really matter how he's walking, just as long as he is?"

"I guess not," Lauren agreed grudgingly, kissing Leo on the crown of his head and then a more thorough caress to Camila's lips. Camila slipped her free arm around her neck, pulling Lauren closer as they began to deepen the kiss.

Leo made a loud, protesting sound as he found himself squeezed between them and the couple quickly broke apart, apologizing to him between laughter at the strange predicament they'd caused. The little boy glared at them indignantly, pouting before he heard "park" as Camila announced they had to go and celebrate. His emerald greens lit up and he bounced around from his place at Camila's hip. In response to his excitement, Camila and Lauren looked at each other and smiled.

"Looks like we're going to the park."

"Don't forget Stitch's leash," Camila commented as she began dressing Leo in a light jacket, "I think he earned the fresh air."

Glaring down at the aforementioned canine, if such a thought wouldn't have made her think she was losing her mind, Lauren could have sworn the dog smirked at her. "Let's go, fur-face," she grumbled.

Stitch barked excitedly, wagging his tail as he danced around their feet giddily, practically vibrating with energy even as he settled at Lauren's command to have the leash attached to his collar. Leo giggled at his antics and as the small family moved out the door, Lauren couldn't help but smile at her boy's laughter. Even if it was the furball that caused it.