Chapter 23: The Highlands

Hi there,

Here is chapter 23, with this one i want you guys to see what i saw. Oops what Sarah saw. I decided to include glen coe(Glean Comhan) in so much detail because it is by far my most favourite place in the highlands, well the parts i saw that is......there was just something so magical about the whole area, and Sarah is right it isn’t the same seeing it from the car......you only see its true majesty when you put on your boots and tread further away from the beaten track and hike along the grassy foothills all alone.......believe me it is like the loneliest place on earth, everything seems to float away and you feel completely isolated, i just loved it and i had to have it in my story, oops again, Sarah’s story lol.....hope some of you will check it out on google, it will blow your mindsJ

As always hope you enjoy the chapter and plz don’t forget to vote and comment on this chapter, that is if you enjoy it off courseJ oh and make the comments long if possible, i do love my long comments hahahahaha

CHAPTER 23:

The day was gloomy and overcast.

The sky was laden with angry looking black clouds. It hadn’t been like this when they had left Lachlan this morning but it had been getting progressively worse all day. Thankfully the heavens hadn’t opened up so far to douse them with water, but judging by the sky right now it could rain any minute. Sarah wasn’t really sure what time of day it was but she did feel like they had been riding forever. The trek had gotten a lot more arduous too.

Those mountains she had seen in the distance yesterday were a lot closer now.  Fortunately Iain had been in a much better mood today, well better as far as he went anyway. He hadn’t snapped her head off when she had asked him about the mountains, in fact he had spoken about them with obvious pride lacing his heavy baritone.

The mountains he told her were nameless; remnants of an ancient time. The area however was called Glean Comhan. The name had sounded oddly exotic to Sarah; there was a dark romance about it.

They had passed close enough to the mountains for Sarah to have had a good long look at them. The whole experience had been strangely spiritual, even the wind had stopped whipping her hair about as they had approached the foothills earlier that day. The weather suited the environment to a t, these mountains were not your pretty rolling English hills looking best when flooded with sunlight, the gloomy weather somehow complimented them, they had their own austere majesty.

Their surfaces were marred with a million crevices like wrinkles on the face of time itself; they seemed almost human, ageless, exactly as Iain had described them, remnants of an ancient time.

The patchy blanket of grass lightly covering the surface of the mighty monoliths did little to soften them. The black rock showed clearly underneath, almost bursting from beneath the coating like a frothy dark rash. The jagged peaks rose up towards the clouds like the giant fingers of the earth trying to touch the sky. So many of the pointy peaks were shielded from view by a heavy curtain of mist.

Sarah had never seen the like, she almost regretted not exploring her own country in modern times, but somehow she knew it wouldn’t have been the same. Watching the scenery through a car window was no where near as exhilarating as actually experiencing it on horse back. It brought one closer to the earth somehow, made one a part of the environment.