Eight: Lunch Detention

Jay

Mat leaned beside Sydney as they walked down the hallway.

I was trying to keep my distance while staying close enough to hear their entire conversation.

At Mat's question, if Sydney's brother had lifted a hand to her, my wolf reared his head and my nails grew into claws. Thankfully they were hidden in my deep jean pockets.

Someone's hurting my mate!? My wolf's voice came out in an animalistic roar in my mind.

He was completely on edge, making me shifty. The combination of Sydney's rejection, Mat's interference, and now this external threat, I was holding it together by a string. I was afraid that one bad step and I would lose control of him.

Thankfully, she denied these notions and I continued to listen from my spot against the lockers with my phone in hand as an excuse to stay there.

When Mat's arms wrapped her, my grip on my phone cracked the screen.

We need to find out what happened to her dad.

Agreed. Then we could be there for her when she needs to cry. Not Matthew. I thought the omega's name bitterly.

I was grateful for the arrival of Sydney's friend Emily.

"What the fuck was that?" Terrence demanded.

It felt safe enough to turn my attention away from Sydney with her female friend there.

A growled bubbled from my throat at him. "Watch your tone."

Terrence bowed his head in respect. "What happened in there?" He repeated less demanding.

"Nothing, just the omega trying to tell me what to do." A vibrating growl hummed through me just thinking about Mathew and his protectiveness of Sydney.

I looked at my broken phone screen. "Damn."

We turned and walked into the crowded hallway of students now swarming from their third-period classes to either their fourth or their lunch period.

"Ah. I heard you got three detentions now." Terrence said trying to draw more answers from me. "Coach isn't going to like that."

My wolf pranced at the thought though. Never in my life had I seen my wolf happy about getting a detention.

Well, this one's with our mate! We can get to know her! He yipped excitedly clearly not concerned with our earlier rejection nor the fact Sydney could have the later lunch period if we continued on with this seemingly bad luck we had been struck with.

The hallways were now much more thinned out, and with fewer students in them, it made our conversation more addible.

I answered him, "The teacher started yelling at me and you know that triggers the alpha gene in me."

Terrence smiled cockish shooting me that knowing look. "Unless they're screaming out your na-"

I collided with somebody, falling on top of their small frame.

Get up! Get up! You're crushing her! My wolf yelled frantically.

Huh? Well, I'm fine thank you very much. I told him pushing off the ground beside the person.

I looked down to find Sydney and her green eyes staring up at me.

☽✣☾