Chapter Seventeen

"Masquerade Ball"

"Let this mask fall from thy soul, let me be thine."

♥★♥

As she entered the room hastily, the warm breeze of glee engulfs her, she took a long breath as the memory of her past surfaced. How she used to wait for these events eagerly, dressing up in elegant ball gowns for the simplest pleasures of life, a dance with the love of her life and a few extra moments with the strange feeling of safety in his arms. Hiding in the dim lightening with him, hand in hand for a dance wearing the beautiful smiles on faces, it was all like a fairytale. Little did she know that it was slowly shaping itself into a nightmare and that fairytales were nothing but a bluff. 
With him was gone a part of her, he was gone even after promising that he would never leave. Maybe promises are really meant to be broken. But people always forget that it is not only the promise that's broken but with it, they break the heart too, into a million pieces of shattered hopes and trust, leaving the person most vulnerable.

She looked beside her and found herself alone, recalling the time when Shane would have walked with her into one of these events. Holding her hand caressing it, dancing with her and adoring her with his ocean deep blue eyes.

But he is gone. The person she is so much in love with, the person who left her in this turmoil even though he promised her everything.

She looked at the grandeur of the ballroom, a typical American style, heightened and decorated with the usual two coloured flower pattern. From the ceiling above were hanging, few large pearl balls, in the centre of which the regular glass chandelier was placed. Long white pillars were supporting the huge dome of the ballroom. Decorated with candles and tied up curtains, it overall looked very classy.

As Iris made her way into the ball room, she noticed how lively the atmosphere was as everyone was busy chatting with champagne glasses in their hands.

In the background, some instrumental music was playing, adding to it all, a calming effect to the surrounding.

She looked at herself and then towards the people. Women were in white and the men were wearing tuxedos.

'I guess, I am not that late...' Iris thought and made her way to the nearest table.

Her eyes searched for the one person she came for.
She sighed and placed her clutch on the table beside her.

She took the Champagne glass from the passing waiter and gulped it in a single go.

'Why am I this thirsty?' She wondered.

And again, she started searching for the same person until her gaze settled on her. She picked her clutch from the table and made her way to the stage that was placed at the end of the hall beside the music band.

"Mrs. Jackson?" Iris asked patting her shoulder, the old woman turned around and gave a beaming smile to Iris.

"You must be Iris?" She asked then motioned at her mask that she was wearing.

"Ah Yes..." Iris chuckled, "...sorry forgot to take it off."

"Oh...no need to, dear."
She said nonchalantly and hugged her.

"I am so glad that you made it, otherwise I was thinking to send some people to kidnap you and bring you here."

They both chuckled.

"You are looking beautiful." Mrs. Jackson sighed dramatically, as she placed her hand on her heart.

"Its so good to see you, glowing like this otherwise you had turned into a ripened fruit after that incident."