Dorm Room 210: Extravagant

Author Note: Edited and Updated on 2nd October 2019

Thank you for your patience my dear readers. Under 8 chapters to go, and then I'll finally stop touching this version on Wattpad.

Instagram: @nicolekapsokavadis

Chapter 25

Extravagant

After we drop Stacy home Noah tells me our date is going to be in the city, and instead of feeling surprised and excited, my nerves kick in full speed.

Noah's looking quite proud of himself for planning this date. After everything that was said in the hospital, putting energy in this date feels tiresome. As we get in his car, I have the urge to tell him to cancel, to stay in at the dorms and order pizza or another favourite dish that he...what other dish does he likes?

It takes me a moment to realise the car hasn't started. "Is everything okay?" I ask.

Noah's eyes narrow at me. I feel like I'm being searched. "You tell me," he says. "Do you want to talk about what happened?"

I straighten my back. "What makes you think something happened?"

"You're playing with your phone." Immediately, I stop. Noah almost smiles. "And I asked if you were excited about the date, but you haven't responded. Not to mention the conversation sounded pretty serious."

The phone feels heavy in my hand. "You were there. You know how serious it sounded."

"I came back towards the end and heard Stacy tell you how proud she was." He unbuckled his seat belt and turned towards me. He rested his elbow on the wheel and supported his head with his hand, waiting. "I know about nothing else unless you tell me."

I can hear my inner thoughts call me out on the stupidity of being so ignorant towards him; its torment has my hand wrapped tighter around my phone. Originally, I wanted to keep my plans a secret, feeling as it's the best option. But Noah waits with an open expression, and I realise I can't lie to him about this.

So I tell him everything that Stacy told me about my parents, how my mum's illness might heredity, and how it had taken her life and my dad's.

And then I tell him my plan.

"When we get back to the dorm, I'll be emailing Tracey on hopefully finding a new dorm next year. With that done I can focus on putting myself first and pushing my limits to try and get a positive outlook in life," I say, smiling at him. "I think, after hearing what my parents went through, I'm done making excuses that I can't be better."

"You want to move out?"

I take my time answering. "Yes."

Noah's eyes narrow. "No. You're not doing that."

I take a deep breath in, struggling to find words without hurting him. "I'm not leaving you, Noah, I just can't stay in the dorm with you. I don't want to become dependent on you and have what happened with my parents destroy us."

"Nothing is going to happen." He sounds instant on it. "You're surrounded with people who care about you, who know what you're going through, who want to be with you and help you succeed. From the sounds of it, your mum didn't have that. She kept quiet until it was too late, but that's not for you."

I shake my head. "It's not cute being possessive about this."

"I'm not possessive." His voice grows louder. "I just don't want you throwing yourself into the deep end without actually being ready for it."

"That's just the way life works," I say. "And besides, I've been too cautious for way too long. The only time I felt like I've been out of my comforts was when I applied to uni. Sure, the plans didn't go as what I hoped, but the best thing that came out of it was meeting you."