40

Steve

I bolt down the streets of New York, not waiting for anyone to move out of my way. Multiple people stop and stare at my shield, now knowing that I am Captain America. I turn down multiple streets, getting to the heart Times Square. I spot Madame Tussauds and I drop down to the sewers.
I run through the sewers, stopping at the door to the H.Y.D.R.A. base. I kick it open and sprint through those corridors. The place is abandoned, not a soul in the building. I search the larger rooms, but no one is there. I stop at the room with a ramp. I see bloodstains on the opposite side of the room on the wall. I can picture Tori crying and staring at me with pure horror, then kissing me. I quickly leave the room. Once I make it through the entire base, I stop for a breather. I continue to run more, and find an exit.
I go up the ladder and push the trapdoor open. I am panicking even more. I run my fingers through my hair. What am I going to do? I sigh and wait. I need to take some time to just relax. I hear sounds above me, wind swirling around me. I look up, seeing a helicopter swooping down. As it hits the ground, a man peeks out.
"C'mon, psycho," Tony says, standing in his Iron Man suit.
I climb into the helicopter, seeing every single known Avenger.
"I still do not think that we should do this," Thor says.
"Too bad," Natasha says. "You don't know Tori like we do."
"Yeah," Clint adds. "It's so weird already not having her around."
"Got him," Tony announces to everyone.
Bruce looks back from the "cockpit".
"Good," Bruce says. "Now buckle up and let's go."

•••

The helicopter soars over a snowy plain. We have stopped at multiple places, but it was a failure. No one we've found has been useful or even knew what H.Y.D.R.A. is. I sit buckled in my seat, twiddling my thumbs while Tony plays with his gadgets.
"Nothing," Tony says. "Everything that has a tracker in it is were I left it."
"Let's contact Fury," Natasha says. "He'll know."
"Possibly," I mumble.
"Are you kidding me?" Tony says. "We'll have our heads mounted on his wall for contacting him."
"I'm doing it," Natasha says, taking out her phone. "Hello, it's Natasha."
"Where is Harris's main building?" she asks.
There is a pause.
"Doing research," she lies. "Just in case."
"Thanks!"
She hangs up with a grin on her face.
"I'll help Bruce pilot."
"Really?" Tony asks. "He gave it to you that easily?"
"Yes," Natasha grins.
I sigh, hoping that we'll be there soon.
"It's a little ways away, but we'll be okay."
I frown, but keep my mouth shut. It is going to be a long time. I bob my foot up and down, hoping that will calm me down. I can just see Tori being tortured, being commanded to tell information.
All I want is to hold her in my arms and tell her that everything is going to be okay. She is the only person that hasn't made my life miserable while I've been here. She is always patient with me, willing to do anything to help me understand the modern world. She is too broken to be tortured. Knowing the things I do, she is a sad person. Tony has said that she has never smiled this much in her entire life than when she is around me.
I admit, I love her. I have since we've met. And now that I have her, she is ripped away from me.
I feel a tap on my shoulder. I look up at Tony, who smiles sadly at me.
"I know how you feel," he tells me. "I've been her father figure for the majority of her life. Although Coulson stole her for a bit, she is still my sister. After he passed, she went into a depression. She wouldn't do anything but missions to keep her mind off of him. So while I was with the Avengers to stop Loki, she was at home crying her heart out. I haven't been there for her during those times. I beat myself up for it. But in the end, she still loves me and never turns her back on me unless I want her to. I'm hoping she does the same for you."
I smile at him. "I can only imagine how you feel. All these years of being with S.H.I.E.L.D., she hasn't been touched once. But then she is stolen right from under our noses when she becomes an Avenger."
"Steve, you don't understand," Tony says. "They want her to get to you."