Chapter 1

I decided to create another story like my 'Adopted to Daddies' story, but totally different. I decided because the other book is nearing an end, I have new ideas, and the amount of people who seem to like me writing those types of stories. Let me know in the comments if you've read my other book. Also, let me know in the comments if I should do a thing where I do a 'get to know me' type thing. Maybe I'm just a dork. Sorry. :D Hope you all enjoy...

~~~~~

Chapter 1

Winter's POV

     Keeping my head down I continued to fill out the sheet of paper the class was assigned to work on. The phone rang and the teacher answered. No more than a few minutes later I found myself called to the councilor's office. There I was met with the Dean, and her Captain. My mother was a Policewoman. Something I always admired about her. I knew this wasn't good though...my throat tightened and my entire body stiffened.

    For the next 30 minutes I listened to three adults try to console me, and try to tell me my mother was dead. They all looked uncomfortable, and sad. I wasn't a bad student, I was a good kid. I always listened, and when my mother fell ill a four years ago I took up a job at the local diner, I was only 12, very young, and under the table. I've worked there since, and have managed to take up odds and ends jobs like baby sitting, or cleaning that bring in extra cash just so I could manage the apartment. 

    "Winter...honey. This means-" The councilor started and touched my hand making me yank it from her grasp, and I stared at her with an angry expression.

    "I know what it means. I'm an orphan." I snapped and she swallowed in shock. I've not once ever been angry. But wouldn't you be if the last thing in your life left you, even if the person seemed to be a ghost anyways. The captain I grew up around sighed and looked at the other two who nodded. He stood up and took my bag making me stand up and grab for it. He stared at me. I've never acted out, and this isn't really acting out, it's a natural response, but not something I'd normally allow.

    "Give it back. I don't need you peoples help. She's dead, I've been paying bills on my own for the past two years, I think I manage until I graduate." I said and put my bag back on. They looked at me shocked. "I don't need any of you to pity me, or help me. I'm an orphan, practically emancipated right?" I said and they stared at me shocked. 

    "Wrong. Your mother and old step-father signed papers when they divorced. Agreement was, if something happened to your mother while you were in her custody, you are given to him." The captain said as calmly as he could which made me freeze. No....he left mom and I...he couldn't want to be around me...he...