twenty one

jack's pov

my eyes marginally widen, but they go back to normal after not wanting to let her know.

"what are you talking about?" my eyebrows furrow as i reluctantly reply.

i know exactly what the topic is. i don't know what state i was in to tell her that i missed her. i was drunk and that's a reasonable excuse. i didn't even know what i was trying to say to her last night. i kind of just rambled.

kehlani pushes me back a little, "you know what i'm talking about."

"to be quite frank, i don't." i lie and try to sound offended because of her accusation.

her eyes roll and that was not the reaction i expected. i can't let her know that i'm turning all soft. because i'm not.

"okay." she drags out, stepping back again. "do you need anything else from me for today?"

"i need you."

i sound so needy and desperate, geez. this is not like me and i've never been like this.

kehlani's eyes narrow at me, "work wise, jack."

well, i thought she meant sexual wise. i really need her in that, even though we just had sex yesterday. i don't go for seconds, but i'll do her a second time.

"no." i shake my head, smiling a little.

we're back at the first name basis. i return back to my chair, knowing that i'm not getting some right now. a sigh escapes her lips as she falls into her chair. it's as if she's exasperated and i lift my gaze to meet hers.

"you okay?" i ask her, actually concerned.

"i know that you're lying." she says and i raise an eyebrow.

"lying about the phone call you supposedly received from me? you probably might have gotten one from me, but i just can't remember what we talked about." i shrug.

she purses her lips and there is a hint of a scowl on her beautiful face.

kehlani's pov

denial. he's just so good at denying things. i know that he knows what i'm talking about because he wasn't that shit drunk and he was understandable over the phone.

"i'm going to get something from the vending machine. want anything?" i ask him and he nods his head.

he pulls out his wallet and gives me five dollar bills.

"i'm going to the vending machine." i repeat. "not subway."

he smiles, "get me a granola bar and use the money to buy your stuff too."

i shake my head, giving him four dollars back. he needs to stop buying me food. i'm stable and i have my own money.

"i can pay for myself, thank you." i smartly retort.

he holds his hands up in defense, "if you insist."

i get turn and turn on my feet. i get out of that office as fast as i can. i keep my head down and i look at the tile floor, wanting to take the stairs, rather than the elevator.

"where are you going, whore?" i hear a voice say quite loudly.

i take a deep breath, knowing its alexa and that she's trying to push my buttons. she hates me because we're both trying to get with the same man.

"that's none of your concern." i give a fake smile to her.

"are you going to take the elevator again?" she asks me, blinking her thick and false eyelashes.

"no, the stairs, but if you'd like to push me down, you should hurry up!" i buoyantly respond, waving her off and making my way down the stairs.

an encounter with her already today is so not necessary. the fact that she has to stay here longer because secretary and receptionists are needed is really inconvenient. it's like it's coincidental and karma is just trying to find her way back to me.

"morning, kehlani. trying to avoid me?" someone asks from behind me.

i turn and come face to face with blake. a smile spreads across my blushed face.

"good morning, blake. no, i'm not trying to avoid you. just as busy morning." i lie, shrugging my shoulders.

i dispense my money in and then click the granola bar button and wait for it to come down.

"lunch again today?" blake asks me. "with johnson and olivia?"

"why can't it just be us?" i tilt my head to the side. "we planned it before, but it's just never come through."

he smiles a shy smile, "you're right. just us then. you sure gilinsky won't get mad?" he teases.

"why would he?" i ask, utterly confused as i grab the granola bar from the box underneath.

"i'll take you to one of my favorite places. even if it's just for lunch and not dinner." he rambles.

i grin at him and nod my head, "i'll see you at 12:30."

"okay, try not to get in trouble until then."

i quickly get a fruit snack pouch for me and return back to jack's office. when i do, he's speaking with alexa, her back turned to me. my eyebrows push together and they both look toward me.

an evil bitch grin is plastered across her face. i shouldn't be surprised. it's always on her damn face.

"did she say anything to you?" jack asks me, referring to alexa. "she claims that you harassed her on your way down to the vending machine." jack cocks his head to the side in confusion.

my mouth drops open, "and you're going to believe her? she started it by calling me a whore." i snap.

jack's eyebrows raise and i want nothing more than to staple alexa's head to the wooden desk.

"she was being mean first." alexa tells jack, flirtatiously touching his arm.

"oh, whatever." i scoff, throwing the granola bar forcefully at jack. "here's your damn granola bar."

jack let's it fly back behind him and his arms remained crossed. should i just tell her that if she wants him, she can have him? because if i were to give blake a chance, he would treat me so much better than jack.

{vote, comment, share}