[21]

Elliot

***

"I'm so going to be in a sugar coma by tomorrow," I say, biting into another fun sized crunch bar.

"You said you were gonna stop eating them ten minutes ago," Carter laughs, leaning against the coffee table.

I squint my eyes. "What?"

"You said you were gonna stop eating them... ten minutes ago?" He repeats, much slower. "Do your sugar comas start with unbalanced brain chemicals?"

"You talk too fast and your accent is too strong," I say, chewing the candy bar and crossing my legs while siting on my living room floor across from him. "You're difficult to understand."

"Well," he shrugs. "I'm not going to apologize."

"I didn't ask you to, Carter."

"Did you really just sass me?" he bursts out laughing, causing me to lean back and cover my mouth with my hand. I couldn't even swallow.

"Stop," I beg, "I'm sorry!"

"You just got so real."

"What?"

"Oh my god you heard me, stop."

I tear open another crunch, one of my lasts, most likely. Carter and I ended up sitting on the carpet of my floor instead of the couch, this way we can sit across from each other and actually have a real conversation.

"What time is it anyway?" I wonder out loud.

Carter checks his phone, his round eyes widening as soon as the small screen illuminates part of his face. "Almost three a.m."

"Damn," I mumble, tossing the second chocolate bar into my mouth. "You should be going home soon."

"I should," he laughs. "But it's like-- "

But he was cut off my the sound of my phone buzzing behind him on the coffee table, rattling across the wood as the screen lights up.

"Who would be calling you at this time?" Carter asks slowly, just as he flicks his curly locks out of the way from his forehead, licking his lips.

I reach for my phone, struggling in attempt not to groan. I hated talking on the phone. I only ever text now.

"Oh god," I blurt out as soon as I see the caller ID, my eyes widening with each passing second, heart speeding up with each vibration from the small device.

"Who is it?" Carter asks curiously.

I try to regain my breath, but all I could do was croak, "it's Shawn Mendes."

His jaw drops, body freezing for a moment. "Wait, what? As in, the Shawn Mendes? The one who knocked up that actress girl? You know him??"

"I actually used to date him," I mumble, still fully aware of the call, still unanswered. "It's all a really long story, but I don't know why he would be calling me. It's.. I mean, it's over--"

"If you don't answer the phone, I will," he says quickly.

"Carter, seriou--"

He rips the phone out of my hands at the last second, clicking the green button and bringing it to his ear. He was scooted even closer to me now.

"Hello?" He says into the speaker, hopeful that he wasn't too late, I could tell.

His eyes light up. "Oh, no, this is her friend, Carter." Then he laughs. "I promise her voice didn't drop four octaves and pick up an Irish accent since you last saw her."