Prologue: A Beginning

19 June, Year 26 of King Frederick V of Monrique's reign

Bordeux Castle, Bordeux

Monrique

Silence was a strange entity.

It was present all around her, like an ever-faithful companion, and yet, she had never felt more alone. It flooded her with a steadily increasing anticipation for what was to come in a mere few moments, and yet, it set her nerves at ease at the same time.

The Captain bit her lip subconsciously, her hands clenching by her sides.

She felt a gentle hand on her shoulder. "Please cease worrying, Captain Van Helsing," an aged, wise voice pulled her out of her thoughts, "at least for today."

Realising that she had been staring at the double doors before her for too long, she shook her head clear. She glanced up at her mentor, Commander General Laxier of the Monriquan Armed Forces, and stood upright at attention.

"Sir."

He nodded at her with a small smile. "Stand easy," he allowed kindly, "now, would you like to enlighten me on what is troubling you so on such an important day, Captain?"

She stared straight ahead, her features void of all emotions. "I have waited for this for a long time, Sir," she answered, "but now that it is indeed within my grasp, I find myself doubting if I am truly worthy of the honour, Sir."

Her words were monotonous, coolly formal, but having known her for many years, Commander General Laxier was able to catch the brief flash of uncertainty that her eyes subconsciously betrayed.

His lips pulled up in another smile, tinged with a hint of sadness. The Captain had fought many battles against narrow-minded men and women alike to reach where she was today, and was still fighting to retain her position.

He was well aware of it. He had fought many of them right alongside her.

However, these battles were not without their scars, and the Captain's fleeting flashes of self-doubt and uncertainty proved to him time and time again, that she had not emerged victorious from them unscathed.

He now levelled her with a serene, steady gaze. "Today is your day, Captain Van Helsing. You have worked hard for it, and you deserve it," he stated very simply, "pray, do not allow the opinions of others to ruin it for you."

She nodded, her eyes hardening. "Yes, Sir."

At that moment, the calm was shattered by the bellowing of trumpets from within the throne room. His eyes widened in surprise for a brief moment, before he offered the Captain a small smile.

"All the best, Captain," he wished her, "your moment has come."

She barely had time to mumble a word of thanks, before they were both announced.

"Announcing Commander General Laxier and Captain Van Helsing of the Monriquan Armed Forces!" the heralds cried, as the double doors before her flung open with a flourish.

Almost at once, there was pin drop silence in the throne room.

The Captain took a deep, calming breath, and waited for one of the heralds and her Commander General to walk two steps ahead of her, before stepping onto the red carpet herself.

She was greeted with much curiosity and speculation from those around her, as she strode towards the dais. A young woman of small stature, she was dressed in plain black military attire, her shoulders laden with heavy medals of all sizes, shining brightly in the chandelier light.