45

Tori

"Say 'my name is Victoria Stark'." a nurse tells me.
The neck brace lays on the counter of the hospital room and the nurse rubs my neck, feeling for the vocal cords.
"My name is Victoria Stark." I repeat, my voice is a high pitched squeal.
"I am a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent," the nurse continues.
"I am a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent," my voice is becoming normal.
"I am an Avenger,"
"I am an Avenger,"
"My brother is Tony Stark,"
"Your vocal cords are healed," the nurse says, removing her hands from my neck. "You can speak again."
"After two long weeks," Steve says from next to me.
Steve has been with me for those two weeks of not speaking. I just stayed in my room in the Avengers Tower with him, doing whatever.
"Glad to hear me again?" I ask him.
"More than glad," he says grinning.
"Fury has given you permission to go on missions in two weeks, both of you." the nurse informs us.
"What?" Steve and I ask in unison.
"Two weeks? That's so long!" I say.
"Fury's orders," she says. "I would obey them."
"I'll try," Steve grins. "The last order he gave I disobeyed big time."
"You did the reasonable thing. I would have done the same for you." I say.
     He blushes. "Thank you," he says to the nurse and leads me out of the room.
     We walk through the halls of the S.H.I.E.L.D. hospital. I've been here before this little incident, of course. But it has never been for a big reason, just little cuts and bruises to be wrapped up. I hope that I never have to be here again, even though I know that I am for one reason or another.
     "I hope that I never have to be here again," Steve says.
     "Me either," I say. "But it's bound to happen."
     "You're right," he mumbles. "Someone else is going to be here eventually."
     "Steve?" I ask, walking out of the building.
     "Yes?" he responds sweetly.
     "I-I'm really scared," I tell him. "I haven't been doing in at all recently, but the ice 'power' is going to become worse. Harris put so much serum into me and most of it doesn't come into full effect for a while. And I don't want it to come at a bad time."
     "Tori," Steve says, stopping in the middle of the sidewalk. "I'll be here no matter what for you. I'm not going to leave you alone to suffer. I'm here for you no matter what. I care about you more than anything in the world. You've made my crazy life worth living."
     I smile. "I feel the same way. There are so many things that I haven't said and it hurts that I haven't. I just don't know when the time is right to tell you everything."
     "It can be today, tomorrow, a decade before you tell me. I'm here to listen to you, as well. There are things I haven't told you about my past either that I'm ready to tell."
     "If you're ready to tell me, I'm ready to tell you."
     "Good," he grins. "Now let's go home so we can tell each other about our peculiar lives."