Chapter 12- Secrets [Vikk]

My heart is burning. I sprint through the trees, heading for the bridge. Arrows fly past me as I stumble across the grass. I dare not cross over the field, it will be full of reds. Hopefully, I can get back to the blue island and wait for the others to get back.

But first, I have to get away from the three reds behind me. One of them is Preston, but the other two I don't recognise.

I can't tell how close they are behind me, but I can hear their footfalls continuously pounding in my ears, my own laboured breathing echoing in my head.

An arrow flies past my face, so close that If I had been just a few inches to the right, I would have been hit. I leap over a root, skidding on the mud. The reds shout to each other behind me, and I put on a burst of speed. The bridge comes into view in the distance.

I take a fleeting glance behind, and fear flashes through my chest when I see that there are only two reds still chasing me. They will have sent the other to cut me off, right? I try to think of a plan to avoid the red, but my mind is so blurred I can't think straight. I just have to keep running.

There is a rustle in the grass, and I feel my heart leap in terror when I see somebody run out of it. The red has come to get me, and now I am going to die.

I slam into him, unable to come to a stop because i'm going so fast. We both scramble to our feet.

"Rob!"

He stares at me for a second, but then grabs my arm and pulls me along.

"My turn to save you."

I grin and we run, feet slamming onto the dirt. The red that was sent to cut me off skids out of the trees ahead of us, but doesn't anticipate Rob being there too, and flings himself out of our path.

We arrive at the bridge, where the rest of the blues are waiting, firing shots at the reds behind us.

"Where are Speedy and Side?" Mat shouts as we reach them. The team starts to run, still firing arrows back.

"They... I saw...the reds..." I start to say, and watch as the others react.

We're down to five now, and our enemies, as far as I know, still have six members.

"vikk, how did you survive? I saw you get grabbed by that tall one." Mitch asks, sheathing his sword. The reds have stopped firing at us.

"They were going to use me as bait. Like, as their prisoner. I escaped though!"

We slow down, spawn coming into view.

Brayden comes up to me, and hugs me.

"I'm glad you're okay, bro. You had us worried for a second there."

He gives me a weak smile, but I can tell that his mind is on Speedy and Sidearms. Those two were best friends, and were always there for each other, and the team.

I can't help but feel that it is my fault they died. If I hadn't gotten up to find Lachlan and distracted them both... they might be here with us now.

We take shelter in one of the houses at spawn. Mat hands around a flask of water, as we crouch on the wooden floor.

I break the silence.

"So, did you get anyone?"

Mat nods.

"yeah... I managed to shoot one of the reds as they ran out of the house after you. He fell and I shot him again. He's almost definitely dead. I also got the other one, but he managed to get away and take shelter behind a house. I might have been able to kill him, but the hoodie he was wearing made it hard to see him."

I fake a smile and turn away. Kenny must have been the one who survived. That means Choco... Choco died. I know I shouldn't feel sad, but... he was an okay guy.

Rob also speaks up.

"when we were running back, I saw the tall guy. The one who got Vikk. We fought a bit, but then he ran off. He was pretty damn weak, though. A few more hits and I could have killed him for ya, Vikk. Sorry."

I look up, slightly alarmed. Did Rob really think I wanted Lachlan dead? I hope he's okay, anyway.

The other are silent, tending their wounds.

I scoot over to Mitch, who's sitting with his back against the wall, away from the rest of us.

"Hey."

"Hey. You alright?" I ask him.

He sighs.

"Just tired, that's all."

I lower my voice.

"Mitch. Don't worry, I won't tell the others, but I saw you and that other guy. The red."

He freezes.

"You watched us... fight?"

I nod.

"Yeah, I saw that. But I looked away when you both... y'know..."

"Oh god. Please don't tell. It's not really... we haven't-"

I put a hand on his arm.

"Mitch. It's okay. I... there's this other guy..."

His eyes widen.

"That tall dude! You... like him?"

I nod. "Lachlan. And yes. We've... we've kissed."

He smiles. "So I won't tell if you don't!"

"Shhh! Keep your voice down, they'll hear us! Its a deal."

We laugh silently for a bit, but then Mitch stops.

"I just... I wish things were different. I know its inevitable that either Jerome or me dies, and there's nothing I can do about it. I have to pretend I hate him. And it's exhausting."

"yeah... You know, when you saw Lachlan grab me, we were fine. He just didn't want me to shout. The reason I got caught is because Preston saw us and thought I was attacking Lachlan. Lachlan saved me by suggesting the Prisoner thing. I would be dead if it weren't for him."

We both sit there, until Brayden comes over and tells us its time to head back.

Mitch glances over to me, and I look at him.

I won't tell if you don't.