30

edited chapter

edited chapter

Chapter 30: Hell Hath No Fury

{D. K}

"You both look surprised to see me, so I'm assuming neither of you removed the dagger from my chest." Elijah walked forward, pulling a handkerchief from his suit pocket and used it to wipe the hybrids blood from his hand.

"You look like you could use a drink," Klaus nervously smiled. "Dakota, my brother and I have a lot to discuss."

Dakota wasn't going to fight Klaus, she didn't want to be by Elijah any longer. He betrayed her, and she was quite good at holding a grudge.

Elijah didn't give her a chance to leave when he rushed to his brother, punching him in the face so hard it sent his body through a glass door.

Dakota acted on impulse, standing in front of Klaus before Elijah could cause further damage. "I just renovated this house, so if you two kids want to take this fight outside, don't hold back."

The brothers glared at each other, and Elijah nodded, acknowledging Dakota's request. "I know, you have every right to be mad at me," Klaus slowly began explaining to his brother while Dakota swiftly moved around him to begin picking up pieces of the door that she'd have to get someone to fix. "—but I kept my word. I reunited you with our family."

Elijah ran to Klaus, punching him in the face and pushing him in the room where the coffins resided. Klaus opened one, pulling a dagger out of the siblings chest and made it hover over Elijah. "Don't make me do it to you again, Elijah."

Dakota dropped the wood she'd picked up, stomping over to the brother. "Enough! Klaus stop—"

Both men turned to look at her as her rant abruptly stopped. "Dakota?"

"W-why is he in that coffin?" She choked out, eyes locked on Kol's body that was covered in thick grey skin with a darker shade of grey signifying his veins.

Klaus' eyes widened in realization, and he dropped the dagger that he had in his hand. "Dakota, love I can explain."

"He's your brother?"

Elijah stood back watching the scene unfold before him in curiously. "Look, maybe we should go to the other room and talk about this."

Dakota ignored Klaus' attempts to get her away from the coffin that held his youngest brothers body. "I told you about him, how I mourned, and you knew." She accused her eyes welling up with tears. "You knew, and you didn't even tell me."

"I assumed you had already known. I mean we share that same last name."

"You assumed that I had known that my husband was your brother? You think that if I had known that I would've allowed myself to be involved you?"

"I'm sorry, we can work this out."

Dakota shook her head, backing out of the room. "Take your sorry and shove it up your ass along with all the other bullshit."

        Dakota wasn't sure how to react, for centuries she had thought Kol left her and she learned to accept it. She kept the wedding ring, hiding it in its velvet box under one of her floorboards. "Next," She called out, allowing the girl she was drinking from to leave, and making space for the next to take her place.

        Blood. That was all she knew, all she had right now, and she was fine with that. The coppery substance went down her throat easily and quenched a fire that was growing in her belly. It soothed every ache and pain, but it also caused a void in her that she spent a long time trying to suppress. "Is it time to switch yet?" The small blonde asked quietly, her brown eyes slowly beginning to fall.

"Get out," Dakota grumbled, pushing the girl away from her. Her anger was getting the best of her and she didn't feel like having to bury all of these bodies if she let it take over. "Everyone get out of my house!" They all scrambled out, filing out of the front door.

Dakota walked over to it, shutting it and turning the lock as her body slid down to he floor. Her elbows rested on her knees while she let her head fall back on the wooden door behind her. A tear fell down her face. Kol's alive. Another dropped down, absorbing into her shirt. Klaus took him from me.

Dakota had assumed that she was getting a headache, but then she remembered that she's a vampire and they pushed headaches off the list when you turn. This was the witches, they were warning Dakota of the threat to come, the threat that they were allowing out of the box. Their chants grew louder and Dakota covered her hands over her ears, trying to block out the different frequencies of all the witches voices. Her heightened hearing made it worse, making her ears so sensitive that as their Latin tongue grew louder and louder a scream passed her throat, the pain worse that any brain aneurysm she'd ever felt.

Her fingers tangled in her hair, trying to find a way to turn it off, where there would be no more pain and no more tears. When the chanting stopped, Dakota's screams stopped too. She stood up, squaring her back as if nothing had happened. Dakota couldn't feel them anymore, the witches, they were gone. In fact, she couldn't feel anything.

The pain she had felt, betrayal it was gone she was empty and void of caring about anything that had happened in the past twenty-four hours. She felt like she had flipped the switch, turned off her emotions. This was the true Dakota, the no-holding-back Dakota. And the one thing that she craved more than anything, was blood.

Guys, I'm fucking proud of this chapter (excuse my French, I swear when I get excited). This chapter has opened a door new a Dakota that I enjoy writing and although you guys might not see a difference it'll become very prominent when she's talking to Kol or Klaus.

Just to ease the curiosity of my frequent commenters such as @azzie89 and @OrdoAbChao, I update every three days so you guys can set your timers and feel free to badger me if I forget. Thanks for all of your comments and please have a very Happy New Year, or a have a very Shitty New Year if your a pessimist or something.

Love you.