8

I was beginning to get used to waking up early at Dauntless but not 2am early, 2am was an hour that should never be seen on a clock. However, Four decided to wake us up with a metal pipe clashing against the railings on the stairs. My eyes opened to the bright white lights in the room and I squinted while stretching my arms above my head.

"Get ready, we're heading out." He bellowed across the room. Everyone moaned and slowly got out of bed, I also did the same. I pulled a jacket over the top I was already wearing and changed my bottoms for thick leggings as it would be cold outside. I pulled my boots on over some thick black socks and began to walk out of the room, alongside a few others. Apollo hadn't really spoken to me since the incident a few days back and neither had Eric, it was like everyone was avoiding me. However, I was the one to tell Eric to leave me alone so perhaps he was just doing as I'd wished.

We met our familiar leaders, Four and Eric, in the pit. I glanced at Eric, locking eyes with him for a brief second before looking away. The past few days after the Candor incident had been a blur- there was a bit of knife throwing, a lot of running and a ton of punching. My knuckles were beginning to scab where I'd constantly punched the bags we had. "We'll be heading out on the train, we're going to have a little bit of fun tonight." Four chuckles and Eric followed with a small smile. Both leaders picked up a duffle bag each and began to walk towards the lower exit of Dauntless, the trainline. We all followed behind them, getting to the awaiting train and all getting on the carriages. I stayed close to both the leaders as I wanted to hear everything that was happening. Once everyone was on the train and it had started moving, Eric spoke.

"Tonight we'll be playing capture the flag." He bent down and unzipped his duffle bag. Someone laughed to the side of me. Eric picked up one of the guns and aimed it right at me.

He shot my knee.

Excruciating pain shot through my leg and fell to the floor. "Looks harmless but packs the pain of a real gunshot wound. Only lasting a few seconds but it's enough to stop anyone in their tracks." Eric continues, I pull the dart out of my leg and throw it to his feet, pushing myself back up off the floor. He connects his eyes with mine and his smile fades when he sees my expression. "Four, you get first pick." He mutters.

"I'll take Cass, I'm pretty sure she doesn't want to see your face anymore." Four chuckles and I nod to him, sticking my middle finger up to Eric. He looked sad, as if he still wanted me on his team. He was being so selfish about not getting his way, I believed he wanted to get me back for saying he should stay away from me.

Four and Eric picked their last few people and our team started to get ready to get off the train. One by one we jumped off, Four and I jumped last.

We were walking for a while before anyone piped up, to my surprise it was Four. "So what happened between you and Eric? Last I heard he defended you at Candor then you stopped speaking to each other." He asked me. Four was a nice guy, unlike the guy Eric was turning into. Eric had told me he wasn't what people thought he was but slowly, he was proving everyone to be correct.

"Nothing happened, he did defend me but it's Eric. You should know what he's like, he doesn't really care much about anyone bar himself." I shrug and sigh to myself.

"I don't know, he probably has feelings somewhere inside him." Four chuckles, he made me laugh. I feel his arm stop me and he silences the group around us. "That's their flag up there in the tower." Four points to the luminous green flag hanging out of their tower. I was just hoping our flag hadn't been found yet.

"Four, what's your bet Eric's defending the flag?" I whisper to him.

"He's definitely defending it, every year he does." Four answers, whispering back to me.