2 | You Can't Save Everyone

Anakin, Obi-Wan and Kendra came upon a small sand home as the Speeder came to a stop. Anakin climbed out quickly and watched as two people stepped outside.

The older man looked at him as the woman beside him held a rag in her hands. "You must be Anakin," he began as he extended his hand out for him to shake it. "I'm Owen Lars, this is my girlfriend, Beru."

Anakin shook his hand hesitantly. "Where is my mother?"

"She's gone."

He turned around swiftly to see an old man sitting on a robotic chair. My eyes scanned over his missing leg.
"Cliegg Lars. Shmi's husband."

My mother was married?

"I didn't know my mother had been claimed."
"You miss a lot when you leave." Owen mentioned. He looked over at the man, wrinkling his nose at the fact that he was his step brother.
"Enough." Cliegg hushed his son. "Anakin, your mother isn't here."
"Then where is she?"

Cliegg itched at his scruffy beard. "She was taken from us a month ago, by the Tuskens. She was out early as usual, and they took her."
Anakin felt his face grow hot as the man in front of him spoke.

"I tried to look for her, but I couldn't. Not when this isn't healed." He said, putting a hand on the remaining of his missing leg.

Anger rushed through Anakin as he quickly paced towards the speeder.
"Where are you going?" Obi-Wan asked.

"To find my mother." Anakin said.

"You can't save everyone." Cliegg told Anakin.
He looked at the rugged man. "She is my mother."

-

All Anakin could hear was his heart thumping in his ears as Kendra flew the speeder through the dunes of Tatooine. The dark skies fell, and he knew they weren't going to get away easily.

Obi-Wan gripped the side of the speeder as it came to a halt. Anakin quickly climbed out, the two following.

"Stay close, the Tuskens are dangerous." Obi-Wan told Kendra.

The three walked up a hill, only to look over a small village. Dim lights came a blur, and the familiar howling of Tuskens made Anakin cringe.

That's when Anakin closed his eyes, trying to reach out to his mother again. She was weak, and dying.

He pushed off of the ground, and ran down the hill. Obi-Wan shouted for him, but he didn't answer.

He ducked into a tent to see a female figure in the corner. Her arms were tied, and blood oozed from her body and face.

"Mom?" Anakin whispered, crawling towards her. He quickly pulled her away from the wood, holding her in his arms.

Her breathing was rapid; almost weaving, and her eyes met Anakin's. "Ani?"
Anakin ran his thumb over her cheek. "Ani? Is that you?"
"It's me." He whispered. Tears formed in hiseyes as she lifted her hand to his face.

"Oh, Ani. You're so handsome." She whispered. Hs kissed her hand as she stroked his face slowly.

"You're going to be okay, mom." Anakin said. "I'm going to get you out of here."

Her eyes became dim, and a fog began to take over her pupils. "I-I. . . I l-ove. ."

Her body suddenly became still in his grasp, and Anakin's heart stopped. Her hand fell from his face, and her head rolled back.

A tear ran down Anakin's face as he lifted his shaky hand to close her eyes. Her skin was cold underneath his fingertips as he stroked her face one last time.

-

Do it, Anakin. Don't give up until they're all dead.

That's what Anakin told himself as he ran through the village. His lightsaber struck through every Tusken there was; the males, females, even the children.

Anakin fell to his knees as the only thing left was smoke from the burning huts and tents, and his mother's body was wrapped in a cover.

He lifted her body into his arms as he walked over the hill. Obi-Wan and Kendra stared in shock as he placed her on the back of the speeder.

"Anakin." Obi-Wan sighed.

Anakin didn't say anything as he sat in the speeder.
"I'll take you back." Kendra said, sitting in her seat. She pulled away, leaving Anakin to his dark  thoughts.