Chapter 34: The Invitation

Chapter 34:

The Invitation

I stared blankly at the slip of paper Kaname Kuran had just handed me. It was an invitation to something… A party? A Meal? Something to discuss this so called ‘Dark Wave’ over. I swallowed hard and tried to act natural reading what was written.

   It said it was a Ball?! I had to wear formal clothes?! I had to dance with people?! And eat food—but I had to dance and dress up?! What kind of a professional meeting is this? Kaname Kuran’s kind of one where you dress up, eat and dance… oh by the way, we're under attack.

   “Why is this a Ball? Shouldn’t we be discussing what we’re going to do about this Dark Wave?” I asked him in confusion.

   He sighed, “Many Vampires and Vampire hunters are joining. Some wouldn’t come if it was only a meeting. Certain people get bored easily so something enjoyable mixed with something quite serious will surely get everyone’s attention.”

   I instantly thought of Shiki when he said that people get bored. I know one thing though—it’ll take a lot of convincing to get him to go to a Ball. He’ll think it’ll be very tiring and he won’t want to get up!  

   “I don’t have anything formal to wear though.” I said scratching my head.

   “You’ll find something. Bring Asuna with you as an invitation was not written up for her. Yuuki and Zero will get theirs soon and I have spoken to the Headmaster. That Werewolf who is with you—do not bring him.”

   I shifted awkwardly, so Kaname knows… “OK, but why not?” I asked.  

   “Some of the Vampire hunters that will be there will also hunt Wolves and Werewolves. They can make truce with Vampires but not with a dog.” Kaname sounded quite serious. I stepped back, slightly disgusted. I know Bane might have been of Dog kind but calling him one in that voice makes him sound like dirt. Just like how I felt earlier that afternoon when I was called that.

   “OK,” I replied in a near whisper. This all seemed to be happening too fast. I checked the date and sighed. “It’s three days away.” So much for going shopping and finding a new dress for myself.                                                                    

   “We have little time to prepare, the earlier, the better.” He said; his voice was crisp.    

   I pursed my lips and thought for a moment. Was this really the best idea… with my powers and everything? Will these Vampires trust me as an ally—or even a friend? Someone they can trust against this “Dark Wave”? What could it even be…?  

   “See you then, continue your duties now.” He finished and walked back to his classroom. I watched him walk and soon I couldn’t see him anymore. My mind was full of crappy questions and decisions but somehow it felt like it was blank and nothing was there. If this Dark Wave comes and we fail… what will happen after that? If these people aren’t strong enough, what will happen? What if they refuse?

   I instantly thought of an amazing ally we could have on our side… but I honestly think nobody would allow it. Maybe he won’t be a good ally… maybe that’s my mind saying that I want to see him again for myself. I want to hear his voice. Kurando.
   My chest suddenly felt heavy with guilt and depression. Thinking about Kurando hurt a lot.

   I began to walk, my eyes toward the floor and my mind spinning with the words ‘Dark Wave, Kurando, Death and dress’. I had so much to think about yet some seemed very unimportant to others. I just wished I could sit down and talk to someone who would understand how I felt… someone I can trust and hear me out. I never really had anyone like that.