Chapter 13: Waiting And Waiting

Comment/Vote! :))))

****************************************************************************************************

Oh Jesus no. Anything but this!

Here I am, standing in front of the elevator of the building; with three men in suits, and an older in a pastel pink blouse, and tan slacks. She’s holding a white paper bag and an ice tea. I can’t do this I hate elevators. I bit my lip as the elevator beeped, and the doors opened. The people walked in into the elevator, and turned in my direction. Of course all of them glare at me, and the older lady is the only one that smiles.

“You going up, Sweetie?” The woman asked me, holding the door with her foot.

Well at least there is an older lady. They are pretty calming…

I smiled at her and entered the elevator, “Yes, sorry top floor actually!” I said happily. I stood next to her, and put my hands clasped in front of me. The doors slowly closed, and the horrible feeling of being weightless filled my body. I felt the gazes of all three men, and I turned to them. They all have black sunglasses on, and black suits. I also noticed the one has a gun in his belt.

 Ok, I kind of want to get off this elevator now. “Hi,” I mumbled, to get a tug on my blouse.

“Do yourself a favor and don’t talk to them,” the lady mumbled. I can see now that she has light hazel eyes, and grey hair pulled back into a bun. She looks around sixty...sixty five. “I’m Carol, the receptionist here on the 80th floor actually. Are you a client?” She said, holding out her hand.

I shook it.“Nice to meet you, I’m Faith,” I pushed a stray black hair from my face. Crap my bun is becoming loose! “No, I’m applying for a job…a secretary actually for David Star.”

She made a face, “For David Star?” she questioned, as if she doesn’t believe me.

“Yes…” I trailed, wanting to know why she said it like that.

“No, David Star doesn’t take assistants. Your boss would be his partner—“

“Excuse me miss, you dropped your cell phone,” a gravelly voice told me from behind.

“Oops! Thanks!” I made sure to crouch down and not bend down. They probably picked it out of my purse just to watch me pick it up in a skirt; typical men. This skirt is a bit short… I looked down, and smoothed it out.

“Sorry, so what did you say about my boss?”

She smiled, “Oh I don’t think he will be in this early today. You’ll probably have to wait a little while.” 

I nodded my head, and nervously looked up at the floor counter. My jaw dropped, and I quickly lifted it back up. There are eighty floors? That’s almost as much as the Empire State Building! Suddenly feeling extremely anxious, I closed my eyes.

“Are you ok honey?” The lady asked worriedly.

“I don’t really like elevators, or heights, or small compacted areas,” I said truthfully, and quietly. An eruption of male laughter behind me made my face turn scarlet, and I held my purse tightly against me.

“Oh don’t worry, you’re pretty safe here. We have some amazing security, and wonderful people here. Plus all the windows lock, so you probably won’t die,” she joked.

Wait a minute…the windows open?

My stomach dropped. No, no don’t think about it. “Yeah you’re right,” I mumble, as the doors finally opened. I looked up at the floor number, and frowned. Still have ten more floors, I am so late for my interview