3. You are One of a Kind

This is my biggest pet peeve and the most cliché part of JTK fanfics.

"You are one of a kind. You're not like them. So I prefer not to kill you."

Oh, gods.

Maybe I've used this (or maybe I'm just assuming) on Influence, but that's because I had reasons. So, yeah. This is connected to my point in 'Crazy as Jeff'—the depth of the story.

Anyways, my questions are: Why would Jeff spare your life? How'd you become different? Because you're a freak? Try to answer those questions, mate.

Now, why is this considered cliché? Do I need to say it again? Can't you see that most JTK fanfics have this kind of setup?

Here's the scene:

Girl sleeps in her house or something like that. Jeff tries to kill her. He fails to do it because of this:

"I don't know why this is happening to me. It has never occurred to me before. Why can't I kill you?"

Yeah, why can't Jeffy kill you? What made you different for our little Snow White to spare you after almost killing you?

It's ridiculous, I swear. This may be offensive, but I already warned you. So don't complain.

Now, going back. It's ridiculous. It just simply is.

Jeff the Killer is a lunatic! Why would he spare you after killing your whole family?

Oh, now I get it! You're so stupid, Mara.

It's love of first sight!

Well, that's absurd. Are we going to have another Bella and Edward love story here?

Please. Stop. I've had enough. I hate it. Just stop. I want to talk about that whole love at first sight thing, but that's for another story.

My only point is, don't make your OC 'different', unless, of course, you could pull it off nicely.

It's just in the writer's creativity.