Chapter Four: The Summer Prince

Glen was what my classmates called the most attractive faerie out of all the academies, with flawlessly tanned skin and lean and toned muscles that made all the other boys flare with jealousy. His hair was coppery red, waving like an autumn breeze, and his electrifying green eyes made all the girls sag against their friends, swooning breathlessly.

Just the sight of him made me want to throw up.

His gaze rested on me, and his lips curled into a malicious smile.

"If it isn't my favorite ice queen," he laughed, "And she's helping a summer knight? I didn't see that one coming."

I bristled, but Glen wasn't done yet.

"Are you starting to become weaker, Marissa? I always thought that your soul was as cold as your kingdom's weather," he smirked, "For once, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you're growing soft."

The crowd shared a giant look with each other. Some mouthed, Here we go again.

"At least I have a heart," I shot back, "I think you were born missing one, flower boy."

A breeze fluttered through the Gathering Tree, sending Glen's robes flowing around him and his hair dancing lightly around his head.

He probably created the wind himself. I thought to myself. The little show off.

Holding up the summer knight was starting to get harder. His massive weight was pressing down on my shoulder, so I turned to the crowd.

"Hey, are any of you going to help your friend here?" I snapped at a group of summer knights.

Their eyes still wide and their eyebrows raised, they came into the ring. They supported the moaning summer knight and half carried him out of the ring and dissolved into the hoards of faeries.

I stood taller as Glen approached the ring, his giant wings throwing dazzling colors against the walls.

I made enemies being a winter knight. But Glen was rival number one.

"I must admit, I'm surprised to see you here," Glen said smoothly, cutting easily through the crowds of faeries. "Normally you're off doing Terron's bidding in the human realm."

He stepped into the ring's boundaries, and the crowd gasped loudly. My eyes narrowed and I understood. Glen was going to fight me. He crossed the ring until he was so close to me that I could see every detail of his glowing, mischievous eyes. Hatred flared in my chest.

"I've been wanting to test my power lately, so why don't we all see what you're made of?" he said smugly. His nose suddenly wrinkled. "By the way, you smell like trash."

"Are you sure it's not your attitude that smells?" I volleyed, my arms crossed over my chest. My wings hummed irritably.

Glen grinned. "Always one with the comebacks, ice queen."

"They're better than yours, flower boy."

Whirling around, Glen took his fighting stance on the other end of the ring. He opened his palms dramatically, and gold light shimmered in his hands.

I drew my sword.

The faeries were really into it now, leaning forward towards us. My rivalry with Glen is famous school wide, and the crowd couldn't resist watching.