17 under construction ♡

Please note any writing beyond this point is being re-written! I would suggest waiting till the edited version is up as it will make a lot more sense, thanks guys!
Eric, Max and a few other leaders stood at the platform above the dining hall while the rest of us ate. I couldn't focus on eating, I wanted so badly to know my rank.

"Initiates, stand." Max bellowed down into the dining hall. I stood and so did the rest of the initiates, there weren't that many of us in total. "You are no longer initiates anymore, you are now full members of Dauntless." He announced and the Dauntless members cheered.

The scores then showed up next to Eric on a screen and I prayed, I really did. I glanced up and the feeling of joy overtook my body, pure joy. I had ranked first, first in the class. A divergent to rank first.

I looked then at Eric but he already knew, he was so happy for me, you could see it written on his face. He was smiling like an utter fool but he was my utter fool. My fool Eric.

I left the hall in excitement, I was so happy I had ranked first. I had a cover story sorted out, if Jeanine decided to ask me.

Feeling Eric's hands on my waist, I felt so warm. He made me feel so alive.

"I ranked first." I whispered and his grip loosed a little bit, making me smiled. I turned my head to watch his face and he was so cute, he was smiling like a madman but he was smiling for me, he was glad I got what I deserved. I did deserve it, I worked my ass off for that ranking and I bet no one would argue against the fact.

"I know baby," His raspy tone agreed, "and you worked hard for it." He added and I nodded my head, knowing I had. He nuzzled his head into my shoulder, laughing away as he did so.

"Maybe I have a chance of being put forward for leadership, just maybe." I sighed.

What if I wasn't good enough?

×××××

Everything went silent, I didn't know why as I was at the back of the room with Eric by my side.

After a few minutes, I understood why everybody was so silent, Jeanine Matthews stood there with her prude blue clothes on and her snooty attitude was showing. I tried to look away but I just couldn't. I could've sworn she was looking straight at me, then she started pacing over towards our table. I took deep breaths and Eric put his hand on my shoulder.

"I'll leave you for a minute, this looks important." He whispered in my ear just as she was standing by my side. I held his arm for a moment then let him go, knowing she would order him to leave anyway.

"Cassia Hollester, right?" Her decieving voice spoke while looking down upon my face.

"Yes, that's me." I tried to sound like I didn't know about what she was going to say next to me but it was extremely hard to.

"Can we talk, meet me in Max's office in precisely ten minutes." She ordered and I agreed, she was so annoying yet so formal at the same time. She was a woman of her word but sometimes, her word was utterly wrong. Why are divergents such a threat? That's what I wanted to know the most out of all the questions running around in my mind.

I did exactly as she said, I arrived at Max's office early even, two minutes early. The fact that I practically sprinted there didn't help either. I was very eager to get this over with yet I didn't want to seem eager towards Jeanine, she would think I already knew- which I do.

I knocked on the door and inside were some very important people, and of course, Max.

In fact, all the faction leaders stood, enclosed in this one room. Why are they all here? I looked very awkward in the middle of the room, with all of them watching.

Looking up, I try and remember some of their names.

Mr Jack Kang himself, Jeanine Matthews, Marcus Eaton, Johanna Reyes and Max. All of the big five in one room, and I was in this room with them.

"May I ask why are you all here?" They didn't really have a choice because I was already asking.

Jeanine was obviously put forward as the speaker for he group because she took charge.

"We are here to discuss handing you a proposition." She stated and I furrowed my eyebrows. "We were wondering, since your rankings were immaculate and all, if you would become a Dauntless leader. Along side Max, Eric and various others." It sounded more of a statement that a proposition.

"A leader?" I questioned her and she smiled and nodded.

"We only offer these positions to our finest." She told me and I smiled to myself. Why me..

"I'll have to think but, why does it bring all of you to bring this matter forward?" I questioned. She was being caught out and she was trying to hide it.

"Well, we wanted to see who the next leader will be." Marcus Eaton spoke up and I smiled at him softly, every time I saw him, he was nice to me. I supposed he had to be though, he was in fact Abnegation's leader.

I nodded, understanding why they all had to come now. Of course, they would want to know, it's all to do with that complex government system they use. I catch Jeanine glaring at Marcus and I roll my eyes. Erudite didn't particularly like Abnegation, they thought they weren't selfless enough. They doubted their lifestyles.

"Well, won't you be glad that I'm saying yes." I chuckled and all the leaders cheered except for Max and Jeanine. They smiled at each other for a moment, I didn't care though. Dauntless and Erudite had been allies for years and this just makes us stronger, I guess.

Before Jeanine left she spoke to me quietly.

"We'll be in touch." She whispered and handed me a tiny piece of card with her telephone number written on it and also read;

Jeanine Matthews
Erudite leader
Brings peace to the faction system

I could've burst out laughing right there and then but contained myself until she left. Brings peace to the faction system? Haha.

Nice try, Jeanine.