20

I was up on the platform, for the first ever time. Us leaders were bunched together up there while the others were stuffing their faces with food. It was sad, if I thought about it, I only had made one initiate friend, and he killed himself. Other than Eric, I didn't really have anyone here.

"Dauntless, stand!" Max instructed to the people who were eating their food. I was getting nervous now, I had to say something in front of them. A speech, I didn't have anything prepared and I was scared. What if I mess up? They'll think I'm not brave enough for this job, not brave enough to control them.

Everything went silent as everyone looked up at us, mainly looking at Max because he had spoken. "I would like you to welcome your new leader, Cassia!" He chorused and the Dauntless members clapped extaticly. They loved new people, new experiences.

I steadied myself at the railings at the raised wall, above them all. They were all staring at me like I was mad, which I probably was for accepting this job. For a few moments, I left them in silence, so they didn't know whether or not I was going to speak.

"My father always used to tell me to be Candor, always tell the truth, never lie or I'll disown you. Even though I had transferred to Dauntless, I still lived by that saying, I always have. Not because he threatened to disown me, but because I was who I was. I had never been anybody different before, I didn't know the real meaning of life. When I came to choosing, I knew that at that very moment, it was my time to be completely truthful with myself. I knew I didn't belong and he would hate to admit it, but so did my father. I know you're probably thinking that this speech is going no where and me being truthful, it probably is but, this speech is made for the younger generations. The ones who still have the decision." I paused more for my benefit rather than theirs. "My eldest brother chose the wrong faction, he chose to stay at Candor because Dad threatened him. He was two years older than me and for the two years I had to wait before choosing, he told me that he'd made the wrong decision. Everyday of his life, he regrets his choice and that's not what I want you to do. I want you to think a little bit Candor at the time of your choosing, I want you to be honest with yourselves, like I was with myself. I don't want you to make the same mistake my brother did and stay where you don't belong." I nearly ended with that but then I spoke again.

"I'm not telling you that you should leave Dauntless, but more asking you if you think you belong." I finished with that sentence and everyone was silent, until one person started clapping. Then others joined in. Then people were cheering my name and going wild. I couldn't help but close my eyes and let a tear drop from my eye.

That was the best shīt I'd ever conjured up. It was completely different to the speech I presented in front of Eric beforehand.

I turned around to face the other leaders then and Eric was grinning at me, Max on the other hand had a straight face. He noticed me looking then smiled widely.

"Well done, Cassia. That was amazing." Max chorused and nodded his head, "Jeanine was right, you are a perfect leader." He added and clapped his hands together.

He then went back over to talk with the other leaders and Eric came out me with a huge hug. I couldn't stay mad at him, ever.

"That was brilliant, Cass." He whispered in my ear and I giggled, blushing a little bit. "I knew you would be excellent, I always knew it." He told me and it made me blush even more. "Come on, there's someone on the phone for you." He announced to me and only me and I nodded.

We left the dining hall and entered one of the many corridors, this one has a phone in the middle of it. I pull the phone up to my right ear with my right hand and attempt to speak.

"Hello?" I asked the unknown person on the other end of the phone.

"Ah, Cassia!" I knew it was her voice. Anyone would know Jeanine Matthews' voice, even if they were a mile away. Her voice sent chills down my spine and Eric noticed as he placed a hand on my back to comfort me.

"Ms. Matthews, what do I owe the pleasure?" I asked her and I could here her smiling on the other end of the phone.

"I want you to do a job for me tomorrow, oh, and congratulations on that speech of yours. Max broadcasted it for me." That cheeky cow. I roll my eyes in annoyance and tell her to continue. "I want yourself and Eric to go out tomorrow, protect the city, you know? I need to see how good you are out there." She told me and I frowned.

"But you've seen my training?" I confusingly asked her and she hummed to herself.

"I didn't actually see all of it though, most of it was comments I took from Eric. Eric will put a tracker in both of your bodies tomorrow morning and then you will head out." She explained and I nodded, even though she wouldn't know I did.

"So, what, we've just got to keep everybody from killing each other?" I asked sarcastically and she chuckled.

"Precisely, watch out for those factionless, they're animals, Cassia." Then she hung up, leaving me dumbfounded at the least.