23

I search the hallways for Four, trying to avoid Eric as much as possible. I wore my oversized black hoodie to mask most of my face but it couldn't hide my emotions.

I sauntered into the dining hall unnoticed by Eric who was standing up on the platform. Slowly and quietly, I walked over to where Four was sitting at a table with a few young Dauntless.

"Four, can we talk?" I asked quietly and he snapped his head around at me lazily. He then noticed my tear stained face and stood up immediately.

"Did he hurt you? Cassia, oh my god." He pulled me into a tight hug but I refused and pulled him out of the room. I could've sworn Eric saw us leaving.

"He didn't hurt me Four, I need to talk with you about something else." I admitted and he stopped.

"You had me so worried. I was going to kill him." He chuckled and made me laugh. He was now my friend. Congratulations Four on making the team.

I pulled him into one of the training rooms and luckily it was empty. I paused for a moment before I spoke.

"Jeanine wants me to be a part of the divergent program thing, she wants me to kill our kind. I can't do it Four, I won't do it." I repeated and he pulled me into another hug. This time I accepted it and hugged him back.

"It'll all be okay Cassia. I promise you now, okay?" He makes sure I'm okay and I nod. I appreciated him comforting me. He paused for a few moments, "Eric is going to be away for a few days with Jeanine, they're planning all this divergent program." He told me and I bit my lip. Eric was a part of it. My Eric. He was going to end up killing me...

"He'll kill me if he finds out." I squeaked and he pulled me into the hug tighter.

"He won't find out, no one is ever coming near you, Cassia." He told me and ran his fingers through my hair. I closed my eyes and nuzzled into his chest even more. "If you need anyone while he'd gone, you know where I am, okay?" He told me and I nodded.

×××××

I was sitting in a chair, tied up so it would hurt me. Eric stood in front of me, his face filled with disappointment and horror. He knows I'm divergent.

Max stood behind him and Four was tied up next to me.

"I thought we could trust you." Max bellowed from behind and I jumped. Eric laughed at me and I shivered.

It all happened so fast.

"Goodbye you divergent bîtčh." Eric growled and pulled the trigger of the gun he held at my brain.

I was sweating and crying, I couldn't contain myself. It was horrendous, would he actually do that to me? Would he actually kill me?

I dragged myself out of my bed and headed where I though was best at this point in time.

The chasm.

It was tempting me in, bribing me to jump. To end my life. It would only last a few seconds, I would die instantly and no one would know.

"I'd know, Cassia." It was Fours voice. Curse me for speaking my thoughts. "Cass, your life is worth more than this, I promise you." He told me but I shook my head.

"This is not a life, this is torture." I replied and he sighed.

"Cassia, you'll get through this, just step away from the edge. Please." He begged me and I stepped back, crashing down onto the floor. He quickly sat next to me and put his arm around me. "We need to get you away from this." He told me and I nodded. I knew I had to leave.

"Come on, we're going." He informed and pulled me to my feet.

"Where?" I asked him, furrowing my eyebrows.

"Factionless."