chapter twenty seven

(not edited)

     "HEY, YOU SHOULD ASK your dad if you can skip school on Friday so you can drive up to the wedding with me and my family." I suggested as I watched May shuffle through the clothes on the rack. "We'll be there all day Friday, Saturday, and a little bit of Sunday." I smiled.

     "Alright." She picked up a dress off the rack to look at the whole thing before putting it in front of her body. "Does this look okay?"

     I tilted my head to the side and pursed my lips as I got a good look. It was a long black dress with a little slit on the side with a low neck. It was pretty, but I just didn't know if it was right for a wedding.

     "No? You don't like it?" May raised her eyebrows and shook her head slightly.

     "No, no, I like it." I smiled and reached my hands out to feel it. "It's just really... black."

     "And what's wrong with it being black?" May challenged.

     "Nothing!" I chuckled in my defense. "I just feel like you need something a little more colorful for a wedding." I shared my honest opinion and looked into her face. She was shaking her head as she clicked her tongue a few times.

     I watched May put the dress back on the rack and continued to search through all the dresses. I took a deep breath and walked over to a rack in a circle behind her and started to search there.

     "Does the wedding have some sort of theme?" May spoke behind me.

     I furrowed my eyebrows and moved past all the medium sized dressed. May is so little that she can fit in small and extra small.

     "Not that I know of." I coughed a little. "My mom told me that you should buy something you can dance in."

"Oh, God." May chuckled behind me. I turned around and smiled at her the same time she did the same thing. "I'm not going to dance."

"Uh - yeah you are." I replied as I watched her dimple appear on the right side her cheek. "I can't dance, but I'm going to, and you're coming with me." I turned my body around completely and slightly leaned on the rack behind me. I didn't know it was on wheels, so it moved and caused me to stumble on my feet as I slightly yelped.

May helped me up and started laughing.

"I don't know why you're going to dance in front of people when you can't even stand on your own two feet." She finished off the last of her chuckles.

"Oh, be quiet." I hushed and pursed my lips. I turned back around and continued to search the rack.

I skipped through a few tacky ones - the dresses with cheetah print or polka dots - and began to get to the gray section. One was too poofy, another was too long, and then I came upon a really pretty yet simple dress. I picked it up by the hanger and brought it out in front of me to get a good look at it. I could tell it was a tight dress with the way it was so slim on the sides. The sleeves stopped right when the arm started and it had a cute bold, black border on the sleeves and the neckline.

"How's this?" I smiled and turned around as I held it up for her.

May snapped her head around and narrowed her eyes at the piece of clothing. I smiled as I watched her entire face light up.