Chapter Twenty-Two

I felt his hand pull me up and I gasped, my hair coming undone and falling down my shoulders. The dress clung to me like second skin.  I looked daggers at him as he laughed.

"What is wrong with you?" I snapped. My body started shivering as he stood on the shore. I noticed that just his feet got wet, and he was still laughing at me.

"You fell in," he managed to say while laughing. I shivered as another wave hit me, making me wade out of the icy water. The shivers took over my body; he stopped laughing and looked at me with concern.

"Are you okay?" 

"No," I mubled, my teeth chattering. "It was beyond freezing." 

The wind picked up. I felt his arm around me before I realised he had wrapped his jacket around me. I looked up at him and he winked.

"Next time, bring your own jacket," he reminded me as he gave my hand a tug. I couldn't help smiling. Of course he had to ruin the moment. My teeth, however, wouldn't stop chattering, and my body wouldn't stop shivering. Oh please, don't get me sick, I thought as I followed him to dry land, my feet barely keeping up with him. It was too cold to move!

His wink replayed in my head and I mentally groaned. Even his wink was sexy. Was there anything about this man that wasn't?

Apart from his serious attitude problems toward me, it was like one second he despised me and then the next he played the perfect role of a loving husband. But how much of it was really true?

I sneezed as he ushered me into the limo.

"You're going to get a cold," he said, frowning for all he was worth.

"Your fault," I told himI slipped my shoes back on and sat, embracing myself to try to keep warm. I felt the heat in the limo rise up as the heaters were switched on but that didn't help.

I closed my eyes and placed my head against the window. My body wouldn't stop shaking. Oh god, suck it up and stop shaking, I quietly berated myself.

Darius bringing me to the beach was a nice gesture, and I really did appreciate it, but did he really have to throw me in the water?

I could feel the fatigue of tonight's events take me under. I felt something warm cover me and something warm on my cheek push me against a shoulder. I shivered, huddling closer to it. At least it smelled nice, whatever it was.

It was too soon when I felt something poke me, waking me up. I turned around glaring.

"W-"

"Come on."

I realised we had made it home. I groaned loudly as I got out of the limo. One of my shoes slipped off and I couldn't be bothered to get it. 

I was thankful for the strong arm helping me up. Good old Ma, I can always rely on her. I crashed onto the stairs and swore and cried in pain when my bare toe stubbed against the stair. I heard her chuckle, a bit deep one. Was she sick as well?

Now we canbe sick buddies!  Hmm, maybe that wasn't a good thing...

She helped me upstairs into the bedroom.

"You should change," she said. God, she really needed to take some cough medicine. Her voice was so deep.

I mumbled something as I heard the door close. I sighed and collapsed weakly onto the bed. I would change...right after I finish my dream with unicorns and rainbow vomit. Who even dreams about them?