2 ∞ where am i

Four days earlier: Day Zero ∞ Thursday night, August 9, 1979

THE MOON ROSE to contrast the motionless treetops against the sky. It forced the surrounding stars to retreat and fade in deference—as if to hide them from the face of the Earth. Life in the laid-back lakeside town of Eufaula went about its usual routine of slowing to a rest before a new day.

Except for one lone pickup truck.

It drove through the historic suburb and straight through town. Continuing on the southbound, it met a couple of vehicles as it crossed one bridge and then another. The streetlights became sparse. It wasn't until it reached the south-side fire station that the driver decelerated.

"Shoot!" Danny blurted, realizing that he'd ruminated his way past his turnoff for home miles ago. 

He pulled over on the curb, shaking his head. Hanging out at the club, celebrating Ray's twenty-second birthday with the guys from work just had to do it, didn't it? Getting him started on old memories that inevitably descended into the gut-wrenching pang of betrayal.

He sighed and rubbed his face. Why couldn't he just forget and let go? He should've put that relationship behind him long ago.

A vigorous shake only succeeded in partially dislodging the picture-perfect blonde inside his head. Damn. Maybe he should just keep on driving since he'd already come this far. Take in the night view at the next public landing. Get some fresh air. Give the beer in his system a chance to mellow. It was as good an excuse as any.

He took a left turn and minutes later parked alongside the edge of the creek.

That's more like it. Leaning against the truck, he drew long, deep breaths of the warm air. Gradually, the sounds of the night and the view before him took over, pushing Marilyn into the dark recesses of his mind. Frogs and crickets chirped away. An owl swooshed by on its hunt, backlit by the full moon. The water barely rippled against the concrete landing, stretching out into a sheet of bright, cloudless reflection. It was an open invitation to boaters and fishers alike. He considered himself neither, although he didn't mind catching a fish or two.

A slow wave of serenity filled him. If he'd had his camping gear with him, he'd sleep under the stars tonight. It didn't matter that the road was only a stone's throw away.

Maybe I'll do it anyway. I still have the blanket in the—

A distant flash of blue illuminated the eastern sky, then throbbed away. By habit, Danny started counting the seconds, One... two... Huh?

Two specks of light streaked up from the east toward the moon and disappeared in its glare. Then a third faded in the opposite direction.

His sister's voice came to him, "Make a wish, Dan. Make it three!" and he shook his head with a chuckle as he squinted at the moon.

You've got to be kidding. What was the point? He couldn't see them anymore anyway. And no rumbling had sounded. The lightning had occurred too far away.

He strolled out on the pier next to the landing and looked toward the mouth of the creek for a better view.

Nah. Of course he wouldn't be able to see the dam lights—that was miles from here.

Dam.

The whisper echoed from somewhere in the back of his mind like he was hearing himself think. He stilled his breath and listened. But all he heard were the loud crickets and the gentle clucking of water against the pier. He shrugged and turned to walk back to shore.