Unlocked Chains

Rain's POV

I have a sister..

Mandy is my sister..

The person i hated the most since day one.

I shut my eyes closed and held my forehead for a while to ease the fast thumping of my nerves. It's really too hard to bear.

First, my mom's alive and that she's living with her woman-- whom by chance, the mother of the person i never want to be with for a second. Worst part is that, she's my sister..

A sister ..

"H-how come?" I asked weakly. I open my eyes and stare at them.

The woman infront of me gave me a warm smile. A smile that is full of understanding.. And somewhat, i felt loved.

"Y-you've... g-gr-grown up l-li-like y-your m-mom..." She says while gently reaching for my hand.

Three years ago, when i'm all alone and my pain is stinging like a painful wound, a fresh cut skin--i swore that I'll gonna make a mess of the Dyke who took my mother away. But now, when the moment i dreamt for years is now happening in front of me, i could not even find the guts to do so.

That dyke isn't the one i had in mind. Her face reminds me of how to be able to give without asking anything in return. She seems so calm, so serene. That somehow i find peace by just merely looking at her pale face. She's weak--- i know she does. Her sick condition is too visible. She looks like dying. But her appearance is contrasting to her inner soul.

"Y-your M-mom..i-is m-my..." The woman coughs as if she's taking her last breath.

I saw Mom run hurriedly from the kitchen.

"You should be taking a rest,honey." She says to the sick woman as she gently kissed her temple.

I couldn't help but to wince. My mom being compassionate is new too me. I haven't seen her being such to my dad. I know she's a good mom. She used to take good care of us when dad was alive but now i realized the difference of doing by heart and doing by responsibility.

"I think i should go.." I stood up and faked a smile.

"You could stay as long as you want,baby." Mom says and reached for my hand. Her eyes looks like pleading. It's as if she's
begging me to stay.

"Much as i want Mom, i know you already had a life of your own and i do already have mine."

She cupped my face and kissed my forehead.

"How i wished i could turn back time and have the guts to be a Mom to you. "

I tear my gaze on her to control my tears.

"B-but you couldn't.." I said softly.

"A-am I t-too late?" She asked hopefully.

I wiped the corner of her eyes. Seeing your mother cries because she's regretting what she've done in the fast melts my frozen heart.

"W-why?"

That's a single word that i've long-waited to asked on her. It means too much to me.

Why did she left me? Why didn't she take me with her? Why did she choose to live a life without me? Why didn't she love me? Why she abandoned me? And too many why's left unsaid.

"I was too young back then. I don't know how to be a Mom. I was forced to marry your dad. I married him because i was scared to lose everything. I used to live a luxurious life. So, I've turned my back to my wife and Mandy. I chose to be with your Dad. And then, you came. I thought everything will be okay. But it wasn't.." She explains.