Chapter 23

Content Warning: Strong language

Ramlah

A couple of weeks ago

"So you are saying you want to do marketing course, right?" Fahd asked as we were filling the college forms. We were both seated by the desk and busy going through the application process.

"Yes, what do you think? It will give me good options for a job later on." I pondered chewing the end of the pen.

"Ya, it should be fine. Ok then let's fill the rest of the form." He gingerly removed the pen away from my mouth. I smiled sheepishly.

Once the form was filled, Fahd murmured thoughtfully, "well this is done. Now you have six months to prepare for college. If you want I can look up a short term course for you in the meantime."

I shook my head vigorously, "No no that's fine. Its March already, September will come soon enough inshaa Allah. I am fine."

He nodded, "Ok good. Let's go out for dinner to celebrate what you say?" he grinned.

"Yes, that's great. I will get ready then" I smiled back.

****

"Fahd can I use your phone, mines battery died and is charging. I need to call Mama to let her know I am coming." I called out to Fahd. He was in the ensuite bathroom shaving.

"Ya, no problem" he shouted back.

I had never used his phone before. As I slid my thumb across the phone's screen, it asked for a password. I walked over to the bathroom, the door was ajar and I could see Fahd applying shaving cream on his cheeks.

"What's the password?" I asked leaning at the door.

Without even giving me a glance he muttered, "1511"

When I typed the password, it hit me then, "it's the date we got married isn't it?"

The tips of his ears reddened and he nonchalantly shrugged, "Ya I sort of remember the date that's all."

I didn't tease him but this fact made me happy. Very happy.

****

"Fahd?" I spoke in the darkness trying to gauge whether he was asleep.

We were in bed about to go to sleep. His arm was around my waist and he was lazily stroking the side of my waist. I knew he was awake. I had to speak to him about a matter that had been troubling me for many days. I knew now was a good time when he was relaxed.

"Hmmm," he responded sleepily.

I placed my hand on his cheek and looked up into his drowsy eyes, "there is something I wanted to talk to you about" I said softly.

His eyes slightly opened, "what is it?" he asked, taking my hand in his, he started fiddling with my fingers.

I inhaled deeply. It's now or never, "Fahd, why don't you pray?"

His fingers froze in my hand and he averted his eyes from mine. After a while, he finally said, "I know I don't have any excuse"

"Why don't we work on that?" I suggested gently, squeezing his hand.

Again he was silent for some minutes, "You know I wasn't like this."

I was intrigued, "really?" placing my head on his shoulder.

"Yes I guess... I got influenced. And once I lost the habit of praying, I never went back to it." he wrapped both his arms around me, "but yes Ramlah you are right I should pray." He tilted his head to mine, "let's work on it."