Chapter 8

I woke up feeling good, which was a first so I decided to go with it. Happily, I rose from my bed and went to my dresser to do my hair. Even though I was happy I couldn't be bothered to do anything to my hair so I just put it up in a neat ponytail with my bangs hanging down the sides.

I hummed to a song that I didn't know the lyrics to and put some natural makeup on, then I danced over to my dresser.

Without making a fuss I quickly picked out a grey skater dress with black leather sleeves and put on my black vans.

"Mads." Elena called up the stairs, "Caroline just called and she's hosting a charity ball tomorrow."

"Your point?" I called back. I waited for an answer but I didn't get one so I skipped down the stairs and saw her making cakes. "What time is it?" I asked.

"3 pm." She replied. Then she pointed at the phone and laughed, "just call Caroline back!" She turned back to the cakes and sung along to the radio.

I ran back upstairs and called Caroline, a male voice answered. "Hello?" I recognised it as Tyler's voice. He sounded sleepy. Maybe he just woke up too. "Um, is Caroline there?" I asked.

Well duh, it's her house. "Yeah." He yawned, "Caroline!" He called. It hurt my ears. She's a vampire he only had to say her name...

"Hey Mads, so we haven't had a chance to catch up so I thought we could host the ball together...you know some girl time." She said hopefully, me and Caroline were great friends. "For old time sake..." She carried on when she realised I wasn't going to answer. Don't get me wrong I loved Caroline and everything but spending a whole day with her without telling her about Bonnie...I just couldn't.

---------------

Somehow I did end up helping Caroline. I was at a hall setting up some balloons and banners for the ball. The ladder was rocking a bit but I didn't think it would actually fall. But obviously, it did. I let go of the banner which was now dangling for the wall and tipped with the ladder.

Closing my eyes, I reached my arms forward to break my fall when two warm arms wrapped around me. When I looked up I saw who it was, "Elijah?!" I removed myself from his grip and straightened my clothes.

I'd only ever met Elijah a few times and the circumstances were never good. "Your welcome." He smiled politely.

He was the most noble man I'd ever met. Although if you cross him, you will not be living for much longer.

"Oh, thanks." I smiled. I stared at him for a few seconds and he stared at me. He was actually very beautiful.

Suddenly, a cough came from between us and it was Caroline. "I better put this up." I waved toward the banner that was falling. Then Elijah said goodbye and I carried on decorating the hall which would soon be full of drunk people.

About 20 minutes or so before the ball, me and Care were sitting at a desk near the main doors of the hall setting out flyers and a money box that had the charity written on it. "So, have you see Kayla's new hairstyle...I mean, total disaster." Caroline was saying something about this girls hair whilst I thought about Elijah.

His hair was shiny and looked so fluffy to touch. His eyes were amazing and you just get lost in them and his arms...oh, those arms.

"Earth to Maddison!" Caroline waved a hand in my face and I blinked quickly. "Sorry, I was just-" I didn't finish that sentence as Caroline cut me off.

"I was saying that Bonnie hasn't contacted in a while." Caroline continued. She was now walking over to the door and unlocking it. Then the D.J walked in. "Hurry you're late!" She pointed to the D.Js stage.

"Care, it's been a few days...maybe she just needs to settle in!" I cringed at how I had to lie to her. Bonnie was her best friend and I had to lie about her death.

"I guess. But she hasn't even texted, or called..." She moaned. "Has she contacted Jeremy at all?"

"Huh?" I asked as I dazed out again.

"I said...has she contacted Jeremy at all, I mean they were in love right?" She cocked her head to the side and waited for an answer.

"Um, yeah, no sorry. She hasn't contacted. I mean she may have left a note before she left saying she wouldn't have good signal." I lied again. Lucky, I was a good lier. This could flip at any time.

"Well, she better call soon." She gasped, "oh my god, I've just had the best idea! We could go up there to surprise her." She clapped herself then when I was about the object the music turned on. Soon the hall was filled with teenagers and young adults. Mostly people that went or still go to Mystic Falls High school but there was a few parents as well.

Caroline was over by the fountain with a group of people I didn't know so I just settled by the food. I decided I wanted to get a drink do I turned and bumped into Elena. "Oh hey." I mumbled. She was wearing a long red dress with silver heels and her hair was up neatly.

"You look nice." She smiled and looked at my dress. It was dark blue and went down to the floor. She was always the pretty sister, no matter how much I tried I could never even get close to how beautiful she was.

"Me? You look-" I thought of a word but none came to mind, "wow." She smiled then Damon came over and stole her for a dance so I was once again left standing alone.

That's when I decided to go and find Jeremy. I mean...he must be here. I wondered about for a bit then found him round the back with a man with a black jacket. He had his hood up, as did Jeremy. I watched for a bit then the man handed him some pills and walked off. When I was sure Jer was alone I walked over to him.

"Really? Was that your dealer?" I asked, grabbing his face between one of my hands and tilting his head up so I could get a look at his eyes. Yep, he's stoned. He pushed me off him and stumbled back, "wow, isn't it the fun police." He joked.

"Oh Jer, you're so cool, Dude!" I said sarcastically and grabbed the pills out of his hand. I didn't bother checking the rest of him for drugs I just went into the bathroom and tipped them all into the sink. Then I turned the tap on so they washed down.

Slowly, I looked up from the sink and rested my hands on either side of it prompting myself up. I breathed and looked at myself for a while until I reached for my bag and opened it. Inside was a medium sized bottle of vodka. I opened it and drank from the bottle.