NINE | 7/2/15

NINE | 7/2/15

AFTER LAST WEEK, I haven't been able to get Harrison Gage out of my head. I don't really know why, but I actually don't mind it at all. Usually, he's showing me his adventurous side, where he's vandalizing buildings, causing trouble, and getting arrested. Last Thursday, however, he showed me his thoughtful side as he gazed up at the stars and let out some of his secrest.

Bit by bit, Harrison's personality is unraveling before me.

My phone vibrates against my leg, and I find a message from Harrison himself. Finally, after all this time of knowing each other, we exchanged numbers in the previous week.

wanna hang out?

I bite my lip, trying to hold back a smile. I answer back with, Sure. Where to? :)

His response comes seconds after, it's a surprise ;) get ready, i'll be over soon.

Cool. You can use the front door. Dad's working.

gotcha, ard.

I get out of bed and go to the bathroom, freshening myself up since I woke up not too long ago. I tie my hair into a messy bun after I pull on a clean pair of clothes. Just as I finish, I hear three sharp knocks on the front door.

Rushing downstairs, I open the door for Harrison, who adorably grins at me. His black hair is messy, and his blue eyes are intensely bright, even for the morning.

"Hi, Harrison," I say, slipping on my shoes.

"Hey," he greets, "Ready?"

I make sure I have everything once more before I reply with, "Yeah. Let's go."

•••

THE DRIVE IS filled with chatter -- me continously asking where we're going, and Harrison refusing to tell me. I expected the car ride to be much longer, but it's only been about twenty minutes. The buildings start to fade away, and there are more trees surrounding us.

The car finally stops, and Harrison leans back in his seat, taking in the view, "We're here."

There isn't much to see, except for the greenery, "A forest?"

"Yeah," he replies before opening his car door, "C'mon, we have a little walking to do."

I exit after him, observing everything around me, "You're not going to murder me, right? I mean, it's broad daylight, and my dad's a cop."

He grins at me, a maniacal laugh escaping his lips. I take a step back, but Harrison steps forward before grabbing me by the waist and spinning me around. I shout in surprise, which makes him fall into his normal laughter and loosen his grasp.

"You actually believed me!"

I cross my arms and scowl, "That was not cool at all."

"You're cute," Harrison casually says as a response to my reaction, causing my face to flame up. He then jumps up and down, releasing this endless energy that he always seems to have, "Now, come on, Arden."

I roll my eyes and follow after him. We soon fall into step next to each other, going further and further into the forest. The trees cast billowy shadows on the ground, creating a dark and chilly feel to it. Harrison briefly glances at me and smiles, however, and it all seems okay.

Soon, he pushes aside some leaves, revealing a view overlooking our town of Cherryhill. We sit on the small cliff and just watch. This average town suddenly looks absolutely stunning. I glance at Harrison, lost for words.

He breaks the silence, asking, "So, do you like it?"

"Harrison, holy shit, I love it," I exclaim, "How do you even find these places?"

"It just takes a little adventure," he says after shrugging before gazing back at the town.

There are cars driving along the streets, but I can't make out the people at all. They're too far away to see, but I still wonder about them. What are their stories? What are their thoughts and feelings? How is their morning going? There's a lot of people in Cherryhill, and I know most of them, but I don't know the little details that are important.

I reiterate my thoughts to the young man sitting next to me, ending with, "I get a view like this, and that's all I can think about."

"Maybe we should go people-watching soon," he suggests, "It'll be an interesting experience, y'know? You can observe a lot just by watching."

"Yeah, I think so, too."

We fall into another comfortable silence, idly staring at the view. I shift into another position, accidentally bumping my shoulder against Harrison's one. I stiffen up but immediately relax, knowing that it's only him by my side.

"Have you thought about college? Do you still want to take a year off?"

I glance at Harrison, surprised that he remembered the idea he suggested to me a while ago.

"I've applied to a few places. I don't know, I might just take the year off and travel or something," I respond, "I'm just not sure what I'm good for yet."

"You'll figure it out," he confidently nods, "Arden Banks, you were made for this world. That's what you're good for."

•••

WE END UP staying in the forest until the evening, and we still don't leave as the color pulls away from the sky. It's amazing how the two of us managed to stay a whole entire day, aside from the time we left to go get lunch.

"Are you ready for this?" I raise my eyebrows, watching Harrison start the fire.

I ask, "A bonfire for two?"

The flames start flickering through the air, dancing around each other like demons. It grows taller and taller, and I fear that it'll burn the whole forest down. The whole area is illuminated by the bright glow, warding off the darkness.

It's simply captivating to watch.

"Today's been a good day," he comments, "Much better than any other day I could live."

I smile, ducking my head down. He has no idea that ever since he came into my life, everyday has been a better day.

______________________

I dig this side of Harrison, you know? He has this badass exterior, but inside, he has all these thoughts and ideas, and they're just so wonderful.

I really hope you like this chapter!

Also, if you don't know, I took down About Axel for the time being. It didn't seem like a sturdy standalone piece -- not yet, that is. I want it to be great for you guys.

I love you, my islanders!

Be sure to:

vote•comment•follow

--islandarc