20. The Tough Guy Act

"No, that is enough milkshake for one day. I'm cutting you off" Eli demanded as we sat at our table in the cafe. We had spent the afternoon talking childishly about anything and everything. His ribs were healing well, he hardly felt any pain.
"I think that is wholly unfair. One milkshake is simply not enough to satisfy my cravings" I glared at him.
"Well Miss. Montgomery, you are insatiable" he winked at me, making me blush the colour of a tomato.
"I'm getting another milkshake" I decided ignoring his laughter and walking off.

When I reached the counter I felt an unfamiliar arm snake around my waist. I spun around suddenly to face Jason Hastings, the guy who's mother had publicly slammed Eli in the park.
"Peyton Montgomery, you haven't changed a bit" he said giving me a sleazy smile "well actually, you're much hotter than the last time I saw you. Oh and that tight body of yours" he pursed his lips as he leered at me. He smelt, like liqueur and BO, not forgetting to mention his eyes were so bloodshot they were practically red.
"Actually Jason, I have a boyfriend" I told him, trying to remove his hand from my waist.
"Mother said you were hanging around with that Antonelli douche, but I told her you had better taste than that" he purred, tightening his grip on me.

"And you think you're better taste? Please" I said rolling my eyes, it felt like they went all the way to the back of my head.
"You're feisty. I love that" he winked at me before saying "Antonelli is a boy, you Peyton, need a man"
"You need to get your hands off of me" I was about to shove him away when Elijah did it for me, looking angrier than my father when I scratched his jeep.
"Care to tell me why you've got your hands all over my girlfriend Jason?" He asked, squaring up and towering over him.
"Your girlfriend? Pfft. We'll just see how long that lasts Antonelli, how long till she realises what a scumbag you really are. You better watch your back" Jason threatened with a menacing smile. Whatever that guy was on, I wanted nothing to do with it. He skunked off, trying to maintain the tough guy act. Eli looked at me with an unreadable expression before he grabbed my hand and began leaving me away.
"Come on" he encouraged.

***

The whole car drive back to his was silent, I knew Eli was pissed, but did he really have to take it out on me? Nonetheless, he didn't let go of my hand, wouldn't release me from his cast-iron grip. Even as he was struggling to unlock the front door he wouldn't let go of me. I pulled my hand away from his before he quickly snatched it back up.
"Eli, it's okay, you can't let go of my hand" I told him, chuckling slightly, but his sinister expression scared me. "What's wrong?" I asked, suddenly very serious.
"I don't- I don't want to let go" he struggled with his words. He was usually so charismatic and articulate, it was strange to see him like that, although admittedly it was endearing.
"I don't want you to leave me" he told me, looking down at the floor.
"What's brought this on? I would never leave you" I told him, beginning to panic slightly.
"You should" he mumbled quietly, almost so quietly I couldn't hear.
"What are you talking about?" I asked, the panic clear in my voice.

He finally let go of my hand and ran his fingers through his hair.
"Hunter was right when he said that I was bad for you. I am bad news Peyton, that's what everyone says" he said, he voice raising.
"They don't know you, they only know what they hear about you. If they really knew you they'd know that you're the most caring and trustworthy person there is. You make me feel alive Elijah, you make me feel like I'm not alone" I told him, not holding back my emotions.
"I'm just so afraid that one day you're going to turn around and leave, because somebody like Jason, or like Mrs. H, is going to remind you of all the bad stuff I used to do and it will be too much for you. You're so pure and innocent and lovely and I don't want to taint you" his eyes were glistening, like he was going to cry and my heart just could not handle that.
"Why can't you just understand that I love you! I love who you are, who you were and who you will be. You're past is gone, forgotten, but your present is a gift to me every single day. There's not a day that goes by when I don't thank the heavens I found you, because I don't know who I'd be without you" I told him, with all my heart.