fourteen: scoops

fourteen: scoops

⠀⠀⠀⠀As Jackson and I enjoy our dinner, I glance over to another couple sitting at a table opposite of ours. The male slides out of his seat and onto one knee making my heart leap with joy.

I love proposals.

"Jackson, look," I say not taking my eyes off of the couple.

The brunette girl puts her hands over her mouth in shock.

"Blakley," the man starts and pulls out a small black box holding, what I'm guessing, is a beautiful ring. "You are the best thing that happened to me. You getting snowed in at the lodge changed my life for the better. I love you so much and I want to spend the rest of my life with you," he ends opening the box revealing a gorgeous diamond ring. Tears fill his eyes showing his love for the girl. "Will you marry me?"

"Harper," the girl removes her hands and tears stream down her face. My own eyes start to water at the heart warming sight. "I would love to marry you," she holds out her left hand which he slips the ring onto.

They embrace and quickly kiss as the customers clap their hands congratulating the two. They both take their seat and I turn back to Jackson quickly wiping my face.

"That was beautiful," I smile widely at the boy who is sitting across from me.

"Yeah," he smiles back at me before taking a bite of his lasagna.

Ugh. Boys. They don't care about that stuff.

"When's your next soccer game," I scoop a bite of delicious lasagna into my mouth. The cheesy, tomato-y, pasta fills my mouth.

"Tuesday," he glances at me before looking back down at his food. "You want to come?" He holds my eyes this time.

A smile spreads across my lips. "Most definitely."

I hate soccer. But I'm going for Jackson.

"Awesome," he smiles before continuing to eat his food. "I'll have to get you my jersey so you can wear it to the game."

"Sweet. What number are you again?"

"Fourteen."

Ooh my favorite number. Not because of Jackson, but because I like writing fours. And it looks the best with one in front of it.

We finish our meals with little talk, and we exit the little diner walking toward the ice cream shoppe, Scoops, down the street. Jackson holds open the door for me and I'm instantly hit with the sweet smell of homemade cones and ice cream.

Yum.

I walk down the display case looking at every flavor offered. My finger traces the glass casing as I slowly make my way down the line and to the counter where you order.

Behind the counter stands an elderly man with thick glasses sitting on his nose. I smile at the cute old man. As I approach the counter, the old man notices me.

"What would you like, dear," he asks with a smile on his face.

"I'll have," I tap my bottom lip with my index finger, a sign indicating I'm thinking. "I'll have a scoop of chocolate chip cookie dough in a waffle cone, please," I smile up at the old man one because he reminds me of my grandpa from when I was younger, and two because I'm excited for ice cream.

My grandpa, grandma Anne's husband, passed away when I was seven. After my dad and Conner moved, my mom and I moved into my grandparent's ranch house. I spent every minute I could either outside or with my grandpa. We were so close and his death was hard on me.

"Carla," the man turns towards a woman who just ended a call. "One scoop of chocolate chip cookie dough in a waffle cone." He repeats my order and then turns to Jackson. "And what would you like, young man?"

I make my way over to the display once more to watch as Carla scoops my ice cream into to the waffle cone. I watch as she carefully places the perfectly shaped ice cream on top of the waffle cone. She returns the scooper before handing the cone over the counter to me.

"Thank you," I smile at the lady gratefully taking my ice cream.

She smiles at me before starting to scoop whatever Jackson got. I was too focused on my ice cream being scooped to pay attention to what he had ordered.

"What'd ya get?" I ask licking my ice cream.

"Mint chocolate chip in a cup," he replies. My face scrunches up at his choice. I don't like mint. "What?" He chuckles at my face.

"Nothing," I tease raising my eyebrows.

"You judging my choice?" He smirks taking the cup of ice cream from Carla.

"Nope," I bump his shoulder before exiting the shoppe and taking a seat at one of the outside tables. Jackson joins me chuckling at my response.

"So, how old are the twins?" Their names completely slip my mind. Hey, I should get points for remembering. The only time they were mentioned was when we went to Steak n' Shake that one time.

"Liam and Leah? They're thirteen. A wonderful age," he rolls his eyes jokingly. Ah, yes, Liam and Leah.

"Oh, fun," I joke taking a bite of my waffle cone. "Will I ever get to meet them?"

"Sure," he shrugs. "They'll be at the game on Tuesday. You can meet them then."

"Sweet," I smile which results in a smile in return.

"You're something else," he teases shaking his head.

I shrug. "I know," the smile on my face growing wider.

After we finish our ice cream, we joke all the way back to the car and on the drive back to my house. When we pull up to the driveway, Conner also pulls into the driveway. He stares at me in the front seat and Jackson in the driver's.

Even from here I can tell that his jaw clenches. Conner pulls all the way into the driveway while Jackson stays where he is. An awkward silence settles between Jackson and I.

I turn to Jackson biting my lip. "I had fun tonight. I'll see you Tuesday." I quickly kiss his cheek before exiting the vehicle and walking towards Conner.

Somebody help me.

author's note

A Harper and Blakley cameo. Awwww.

If you have no idea who the two are, well, they are from my story Frosty.

Side note: I'm not trying to bash soccer. If you are offended by me saying that the character hates soccer and finds it boring, I'm sorry. That's just part of her character.

This is my last update for a few days. Have a lovely weekend!

(:

With love,

.j