Chapter 2

"Irony, when is your mom getting home?" Noah mumbled

"I don't know." I turned off the movie, seeing neither of us were interested. "She said she would be back this morning, but as you can see, she's not here." It was just like her to do that. She's left me alone here for months at a time, without even a call. I didn't really care; I don't really need her here.

I have Noah, and Toby.

They love me.

Noah is the brother I always wanted. We've been friends, since second grade. We told each other everything. He wasn't afraid to go to amazing heights JUST to make me smile. I loved that about him.

But now of days he was distant. He felt awkward around me, and I started feeling the same way.

I looked up at Noah to see him fiddling with his thumbs. His soft golden brown locks fell just above his light green eyes. I hadn't noticed I was staring, but he seemed too. "Iro?" He looked at me. "Are you okay?"

I quickly lowered my eyes to my hands. "What do you mean okay?"

"Never mind." He managed a smile. "Do you want to stay at my place while your mothers gone?"

"She might come back tonight." I mumbled, standing up and walking to the door.

Noah looked at me with a sorryful look. He walked to the door, and stood in front of me. "Are you going to school tomorrow?"

"Probably not." I smiled, and pushed him out the door.

"Whatever." He smirked, and walked off and into the darkness. When I couldn't see him anymore, I closed the door.

"I thought he'd never go." I turned to see Jeff fiddling with his knife.

"How long have you been here?" I said blankly without any emotion.

"Iro?" he smiled. "Is that a nick name or something?" He walked over and sat on the sofa. "Why is your name Irony anyways?"

"Why do you want to know?"

"How long is your mother going to be out of town?"

"Why do you care?" I muttered.

"I'm staying here tonight."

"What? No!"

"I made up my mind." His smile grew wide. "You don't have a choice."

"Yes I do. Get out." Instead of listening to me, he turned on the T.V. "What are you doing? Get out!" I was yelling now.

"Watch this." He said pulling me down to the couch with him.

"The news?"

"Just watch!" He seemed excided about whatever was on, so I obeyed.

There was a blonde reporter on the TV and she was talking about animal abuse, until a news flash came up.

"Breaking news, a Family of five was found in their home today. Reporters say it was a gruesome scene, after a friend of the family walked into their home, to see the bloody nightmare. The name of the family has not been released, but the youngest child was of the age of eight. Investigators believe this murder has something to do with other recent murders."

I turned off the TV, and looked at Jeff. An evil smile covered his face.

Oh god.