Chapter 29: Broken

Claire's POV

I kept my eyes closed as I debated with myself, trying to convince myself that staying in bed all day was the best choice, especially considering that for the past week everyday has been the same.

I wake up, eat breakfast, talk to my brother or his mate, then take a walk and ignore all the whispers and staring. Sometime I ask people if they need help, but everyone quickly dismisses me. I am tired of feeling useless, It would be best if I just left and started again in another pack, I'd be more careful not to expose myself, and I won't be a burden for my brother anymore...
Claire! You have gone through way worse, so get off your behind and really try to get these people to like you, stop being a wimp!

I sprung out of the bed in surprise at the sudden voice in my head. Where have you been? Just 'cause I'm safe now doesn't mean you need to disappear from my thoughts, I'm lonely.
I sat back down in a huff, crossing my arms in annoyance.
If I am present in your mind, everyone will know how powerful we are, and they will never trust us, which is something we can't allow

I rolled my eyes at her logic, "why you gotta make sense for, huh? Why?

She just chuckled, and removed her presence from my mind, once again leaving me alone. I sat there on the bed for a couple of minutes in the silence, not really thinking anything until there was a knock at the door. It startled me so bad, I jumped off the bed, falling to the floor really hard.

Thud!

"Claire!"

My brother charged into the room, like he was prepared for a fight, then he noticed me on the floor, looked from me to the bed, then back at me again, with a smirk on his face, his shoulders starting to shake.

I stares up at him angrily, "Don't you dare la--"

My brother cut me off with a booming laugh, he laughed so hard he fell onto the floor, which was so funny I couldn't help but join in the laughter. Soon we were both rolling on the floor laughing uncontrollably, it was a great way to start the morning.

Once our laughter died down, my brother and I got on up and sat beside each other on the bed.

"What's in store for today?" I asked looking up at him.

"Well, I thought that it would be a great idea for you to help out the women and men who are working the land. Now that the ground is healed, thanks to you, we have started planting all sorts of food, but since there is a lot of land it would be great to have an extra pair of hands, what do you say?" He nudged me with his elbow, looking at me with a soft smile on his face.

"Sure, whatever I can do to help."

"Okay then" He said with a nod, "you have 20 minutes" with that he softly propelled himself off the bed and walked hesitantly towards the door, he looked as though he was suddenly very deep in thought, and I so badly wanted to know what he was thinking. "Keith?" He stopped, "what's wrong?"

He sighed deeply, "it's just that...did you know that you talk in your sleep?" He turned to face me, and I just shook my head, my palms started to get sweaty, and I began to fidget around, shrinking under his stare. I could see where this was going.
"Well you do, and you constantly repeat the name John in your sleep, which scares me a little..." I gulped.

"It scares me because, our Prince's name is John and he has been going crazy, searching for something that he has lost, so Claire I need you to be honest with me..." he walked back over to me and crouched down so we were at eye level.

"Are you hiding from John Wolfe, did he hurt you?" Woah, wait that is not what I expected him to say.

"What? No, no, no!!! John would never hurt me" I shook my head vigorously,  and softly looking down at my hands, I said "he cares for me to much." Glancing back at Keith, I noticed that he had a triumphant expression on his face, it was then that I realized that I had given myself away.

"So you do know the prince?"

"Yeah, I do" I sighed, I didn't really feel like talking about it, but I could tell by my brothers face that I wasn't leaving this room without telling him what he wanted to know.

"So why aren't you with him, hmm? Why haven't you called him yet?" He said this softly, I think it was in attempt to not seem pushy, but it didn't work, his face betrayed his true feelings.

I looked down to stare at my feet, until they became a blur. Then and only then did I feel comfortable enough to tell him my truths.

"He wasn't there when I needed him the most, he didn't save me like he promised he would." I whispered. Letting the tears freely fall down my face, I raised my head up, and looked into my brothers eyes.

"And now it's too late, I am broken. There are no parts left of me to put back together, the important pieces are gone."

My brother raised his hand, as if to wipe my tears away, but I flinched in defence, my body getting ready for the blow that always came, and furthermore proving my point.

But Keith didn't let my reaction stop him, he was determined to comfort me. He brought down his hand to cradle my hand in his, while still keeping that eye contact with me.

"I know that, the man who is turning the world upside down to find you, will, without a shadow of doubt, destroy it to make you whole again, and since I take protecting you so seriously, I'm going to call him in a week."

I opened my mouth to protest, but he shushed me, then placed his hand over my mouth.

"I know that I can't protect you as well as your mate can, he knows you inside and out. You may be my sister but you're his heart, give him the opportunity to protect you the way he couldn't before." With that he got up to leave.

"You're wrong" I said stopping him before he walked out the door.
"He's not my mate, we've just been friends for so long." Right? He would've told me if we were mates.

My brother just shook his head with a chuckle. "whatever helps you sleep at night" and with that he was out of the door. Leaving me alone with just my thoughts.