Chapter 31: Nightingale

Chapter 31:

Nightingale

*Song: Nightingale: Demi Lovato*

>>Carter

New year's eve has never really been a very special occasion to me, but the rest of the dreamers in this festive world couldn't disagree more.

It was practically another Christmas, but without the presents, decorations, and tree that lit up in your homes like a nightlight of stardust promises. Nope. This time, there's only more reason to stuff your face to gain even more pounds, and have a massive celebration of some sort only to end up with an equally immense amount of mess to clean up in the aftermath when all the excitement has diminished. If you weren't at the best places like Times Square, chances are you're at home counting down with MTV or some other red carpet station for over three hours wishing you were where everyone who's anyone wanted to be. Then there's the probability of being involved in an early fourth of July display such as the traditional, overused, yet extravagant explosion of colours known as fireworks. Such a festive beginning where everyone dances, eats, gets drunk and make out with total strangers as the clock strikes midnight to ring in the reminder that we're one year closer to the end of the world.

"Oh come on! Please. Please. In the name of all that is Lana please." Genevieve begs for the hundredth time today as I swipe the page of the book in my palms to read the next chapter. Right now we were both at my place as usual, spending the day together the same way we have since our break started a week and a half back. Well, minus the begging and no Netflix thanks to miss 'I forgot my laptop charger at home' here.

"For the hundredth time Genevieve, I hate fireworks. I don't even want to look at school grounds during my break, and I'm not into New year's eve." I retort, bringing the book closer to my face when she pouts with a huge puppy dog look to make me feel bad.

Like that'll work.

"Oh stop being such a boring ol' Grinch and live a little!" she growls in affliction, grabbing the hardcover book in my loose grasp before hiding it behind her back like I didn't have eyes to see the action. Apparently, the student council is hosting a 'New Year festival' going on at school grounds to raise funds, and since Eve has to be there she wants me to go as well. "You'll love it! It'll be your first and last one as a Newton student, and we'll have more than fireworks going on of course, don't be silly."

I raised a brow. "Like what?"

"Well there'll be a variety of food-"

"I have a stacked refrigerator."

"Games-"

"Monopoly never goes out of style. Want me to get it?"

"Treats, sweets and cake?"

"I'll bake."

Eve laughs mockingly at that. "I've tasted your cooking. You'll die before you can even see the new year."

"Then what a way to go. In the comfort of my couch by food-poisoning." I say with flake excitement, causing Genevieve to huff in irritation before thinking of another excuse as her eyes lit up with a good idea based on that mischievous smirk.

"Nolan will be there." She sang teasingly, making me look at her with a deadpanned expression at the poor attempt.

"Is that really supposed to change my mind? I'm insulted."

"Oh my Lana." She grumbles, shaking her head in disbelief as she falls backwards on the couch in exaggeration. "Now that was my best motivation and you still didn't even bat an eye."

"That was your best motivation? Eh. Wrong. Try again." I chuckle at her struggle to convince.

"Well he is your-"